Saturday, March 1, 2008

Teaching a boy to love a girl....



You know as parents, we teach our kids the right manners, obviously right from wrong...and the spiritual truths of course. However, as my boys grow up I become even more aware of how we teach them to be future husbands and fathers themselves. We all know that they look at us as authority and we hope role models too...but what kind of role models. I don't think of it often - though important - that when my boys see me, sometimes they think...is that what a wife/mom/woman is supposed to look like? Now, of course they will marry someone they fall in love with, but if we as mom's model good examples of who we are called to be, they will look for the right people and something inside them will click if they become involved with people who aren't necessarily good for them.

Having boys, we are focusing more on the side of how to cherish and respect a girl. How to treat her like she is special and all those things. In our home, our boys see this firsthand. I am blessed to be loved by an amazing man. Those of you who know him, know what I mean. He is crazy about me and never passes a chance to tell me so. Sometimes I think that because he is always that way...I forget that is not the norm. I have had eternal displays of love for me etched in wet cement at many gas stations, on church stage props....you name it. It's actually a game during musical season at church. Four letters and a symbol.... KJ (heart)SJ. That is what he paints/draws, reminding me that he loves me. I see this at a gas station on Acton road - right by the pump - Kevin loves Shannon. How fun is that for me? I am not that crazy...but I do leave notes for him on an old mirror in our bedroom. Our boys see this - they roll their eyes. But they know that their dad loves their mom. They see us cuddle on the couch, dance in the kitchen and have date night. That is so important. Now, I could tell you something else...but I am not sure it stays within the realm of things you should post on a blog for others to see, but it would be quite funny. But, maybe Max singing that awesome song Viva...something....just wouldn't be appropriate. You know, I wish they wouldn't make catchy songs about crazy products....anyway, let's get back to the subject at hand. What I am trying to say as I get caught up in ways my husband shows his love for me is that our boys see that we have fun and that we love each other. They in turn, look forward to getting married and plan to have fun. I hope they see that when they get married, they are to keep pursuing their love and keeping romantic gestures a part of their life. I don't want them to think that once they 'catch her' the chase is over. As women we long to be pursued. That is how we are wired, I am thankful I have a chaser.....

Scout, Max and I were home alone last night and we enjoyed my latest show of love from my man. I have begged for a long time to have a TV in my room. Just to enjoy a movie or some quiet tv when Guitar Hero 3 is blasting in our family room and flows into most every other area in our home. That's all.... Anyway, before Kevin went on a hunting trip with Nick - I received a wonderful flat screen TV that is pretty enough to kind of fit in my girl room. So its Friday, Max, Scout and I are all cozied up in my bed. All Max said is, Mom, I am so glad Dad is in love with you. He gives you good gifts. You know, he is right! He does.... and I wonder if Kevin knows he is giving our boys a gift. The living example of a man who loves his wife and truly cherishes her. Kevin is teaching them daily how to be a wonderful husband.

Kevin and I love to go to bookstores - and just read, drink coffee, look around. Well, around Christmastime, we found a devotion book for couples that we bought. Songs in the key of Solomon. It is written by well known Anita Renfroe ( women of faith) and her husband John. Inside we found many romantic devotions that remind us and married couples to connect in romantic ways each day. I am reminded that I need to do that more. I want our boys to continue seeing a love that has sparks in their parents marriage. What about you? If you are not getting enough....oooo you two.....that is gross comments from your 9 year old....maybe you need to turn up the romance too. :) Just saying.... Read the scripture below, if this is not something you want to read with your spouse.....take a heart check and go away for a weekend alone - no kids. A healthy marriage is just as important in your home as keeping your kids away from bad movies, language, drinking and drugs....I promise! :)

(The man) Oh my dear friend! You're so beautiful! And your eyes so beautiful - like doves!
(The woman) And you, my dear lover - you're so handsome! And the bed we share is like a forest glen. We enjoy a canopy of ceders enclosed by cypresses, fragrant and green. I'm just a wildflower picked from the plains of Sharon, a lotus blossom from the valley pools.

(the man) A lotus blossoming in a swamp of weeds -that is my dear friend among the girls of the village. Song of Solomon 1:15-2:2

1 comment:

Melanie said...

I love this - you are way ahead of me girl. One thing you and all your girlfriends need to remember is that if you keep that relationship strong with your husband, all the other ordeals in life will fall into place. I'm serious. Challenges will come into your marriage and things will try to steal your attention - be careful and watch out and keep flirting with your husband!