Sunday, March 30, 2008

We totally ran away this weekend!


Wow! It is Sunday night and I feel totally refreshed. That is not hard to do when you've had a weekend away. Kevin and I left Friday to have some total adult time. We are blessed with family and friends that don't mind looking after the boys so we can leave occasionally. The boys feel like they have special weekends too!

We excitedly left Birmingham on Friday afternoon. It only took us about 30 minutes to unwind and put on some driving music and totally.....check out mentally for 48 hours! We met Kenny and Kelly at a resort in Florence, Alabama overlooking the Tennessee River. It was awesome. We need to do this every so often!!! You know what I mean? As parents, we are better when we make time to refresh and be just with our spouses. Being with other couples is good too because sometimes, those other couples bring out good things in us. The picture above is from our movie night. We all piled up on the couch in our jammies and just enjoyed a movie! Total fun. Not the most amazing picture of me....but that is totally fine. I looked much cuter earlier that day when we were shopping around in Florence. This is me 'looking totally comfortable with who I am and where I am'. I LOVE THOSE TIMES! Ken and Kelly bring that out in Kevin and me. They are good for us that way.

Too often we feel guilty if we leave our kids for time alone with our spouses or friends. We feel we are taking time away from them. But we need time away ever now and then to recharge and be refreshed. When we get away, we are also showing our kids that time alone for mom and dad is important. We also show that the love between a mom and dad is important and requires time alone together. This is one of those things that can help set examples for our kids showing them....this is what you need to do when you get married. We want that for our kids right?

Do you ever wonder what your marriage will be like once your kids are gone? Sometimes I do. I think....wow...it will be quiet...or what will we talk about? Getting away with Kevin, is an encouragement to me. Weekends like this remind me that when that day comes, we will be just fine. We'll laugh, play cards, take walks...and just enjoy each other like we did this weekend. So now, I encourage you to take some time, soon.....to go away for a night or a weekend with just your husband. Take another couple if you want, but no kids. They'll be fine.....and they won't miss you as much as you may think they will!!! Don't wait - our days and years go by quickly and we must make the most of every day.

Psalm 90:12 from The Message translation reads;
Teach us to live wisely and well! Teach us how short our lives really are so that we may be wise.

Lord, help us live each day to the fullest as each day is truly a gift from you.

1 comment:

Ken said...

Again...it's Kelly! Seriously, I could pass for Jay Leno's daughter in this pic. HOW can that be my chin??? Did Kevin photo shop that in? Ha. We had soooo much fun! And ditto on the getting away part. It's good for us to miss our kids and our kids to miss us, even if they think we're in Florida! Let's grab the kids next time and go, but that would defeat the purpose of your blog...(Are you still full from the "yam fries"?) yum. love ya