Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Romance & Love......sigh........

Yesterday, Kevin took the boys to Blockbuster. They were so excited to bring home a movie just for me. My boys know I love any movie about 'love stuff' as Max would say. Enchanted is now out on video and if you have not seen it. You so need to. It is cute and so funny. My family and I went to see it while it was in theaters. I laughed....almost cried...and walked out saying...Was that not the best movie ever??? I sometimes forget I am in a family of all boys!! Like all girls, there is a part of me that was created for romance. I love it...long for it and am totally swept up by it. There is a scene in the movie where the princess (who has found herself thrown into New York - away from Fairytale world) is singing and dancing Disney Style in Central Park. As she twirls in her gown and tiarra, she sings the following song;

How does she know you love her?
How does she know she's yours?

How do you show her you love her?

It's not enough to take the one you love for granted
You must remind her, or she'll be inclined to say...
"How do I know he loves me?"
"How do I know he's mine?"

Well does he leave a little note to tell you you are on his mind?
Send you yellow flowers when the sky is grey?
He'll find a new way to show you, a little bit everyday
That's how you know, that's how you know!
He's your love...

Man sings...
You've got to show her you need her
Don't treat her like a mind reader
Each day do something to need her
To believe you love her

Everybody wants to live happily ever after
Everybody wants to know their true love is true...
How do you know he loves you?

Well does he take you out dancin' just so he can hold you close?
Dedicate a song with words in
Just for you?

Because he'll wear your favorite color
Just so he can match your eyes
Rent a private picnic
By the fires glow-oohh!

He's your love...

Man:
That's how she knows that you love her
That's how you show her you love her

Giselle:
That's how you know...
That's how you know...
He's your love...

I took out some of the repeating words...but I think you get the picture. I love this! I can just imagine all the girls who watched this thinking...."YES! That's what I want!!!". Then, the boys thinking, I am so not doing that! Whatever THAT is.

Just hearing my boys talk, and ask me questions reminds me that I have to be able to talk with them about romance. I can help teach them what romance is. I am their first inside look into a woman's heart. They can learn from what I share with them. Why shouldn't I give them that advantage? For instance, my boys have learned that women like to be complimented. Just this past Monday, Kevin and I were going to a concert so we were dressed to go out. As we were saying goodbye, Max said "And where are you going mom, looking so beautiful?". I had to laugh...but I was quick to say thank you! Reaffirming that great behavior! Always tell your mom she is beautiful! Right??

Anyway, I have a book to recommend for raising boys and helping them learn to be good dates as well as husbands. Preparing Him for the Other Woman by Sheri Rose Shepherd. A Mother's Guide to Raising Her Son to Love a Wife and Lead a Family. The book challenges us as mom's to think about the type of husband that our sons will be. The book shares how we can help him learn to become a hero, express love, the art of affirmation, respecting a woman and much much more! There is also a chapter on how we can prepare ourselves for that other woman too. (Um...that means how to turn him over.....COMPLETELY) I will probably re-read that one over, again and again until it happens. I feel I might need some help with that one!

We all want to live happily ever after - the little girl in us is still there. I have a sign in my bathroom that reads, and they lived happily ever after. I've told you...I am a romantic. I love the fairytale ending...not to mention tiarras. I believe if we can raise our sons to recognize that romantic desire in their future wife, their role as The Prince will be a bit more defined!

God created romance - and He longs for our hearts as women. I love this verse. It captivates me. Read the whole Psalm if you can. But this particular verse....since the first time I read it, I can't forget it. Christ loves me and because he so loved me I will live..... Happily Ever After.

Psalm 45:11 The king is enthralled by your beauty;
honor him, for he is your lord.

1 comment:

Siniki said...

Do you realize you write great stuff? Shannon, you really do. I read your blog every other day or so and look forward to your new ones each time. You need to write a book on raising boys. You have the talent. Katherine Hepburn said about being a star, "I don't know what it takes to be a star, but I got it, what ever "it" is". What ever "it" is that some have to write great stuff ,you got it.

Steve Irby