Tuesday, March 4, 2008

The End of an Era.....sigh.......




Well, you may have heard the sad news....it finally happened. Brett Favre retired from The Green Bay Packers. I am somewhat shocked at how this made me sad. I joking predicted this event before last season. Kevin and Scout were very quick to tell me that would not happen, and they were right. To their delight, we enjoyed a wonderful 2007 Green Bay Packer Football Season. It was awesome! If you did not see the playoff game at Lambeau Field where Favre was covered in snow and loving every minute of it....truly missed a game!

For our family, Packer games are cause to celebrate. We even go to early church sometimes just to be sure we are home for kick off on Sundays. Seriously! We love getting together with Kevin's brother Ken in Nashville along with Kelly and our nephew Alec. Kevin's parents enjoy the games too. If we can get everyone together...that is big. One year for Superbowl we all met in Atlanta for the weekend just so we could all be together for Superbowl Sunday! What fun! The tailgating food is flowing....brats for everyone! It's a good time.

After school today, I broke the news to Scout. He was so sad. Emotionally, it took him a moment. He was hoping for one more season. He would and he has defended Brett's abilities against other QBs. After Scout heard the news and composed himself - I handed him a stack of Favre football cards. You see, when I heard the news earlier today, Kevin told me that Scout had looked at some cards at the trading card shop the other day and it might be a nice surprise to go pick a few up for him. So, after work I stopped by the shop to see what I could find. I introduced myself to the store owner and reminded him I was the mom of the boy always looking for Favre cards. His face lit up as he said, "You're Scout's mom. Wow, I thought about him when I heard the news today". I was shocked he remembered Scout, but then again, we are there quite a bit...usually looking for one player's card. Go figure. Anyway, he went into the back and came back with a stack of cards that he said he didn't think Scout had. He then told me I could have them all for $20. That was a deal...I took them!

When I handed the cards to Scout, he was so touched. He gave me a big hug...got kind of mushy and so appreciated the gift. I knew he connected with the thoughts that went into that gift. He felt cared for and special.

I was reminded today that even though I may not totally understand the depth of emotion one of my kids may feel for something, I can give them my attention and care about their feelings and situation. Scout doesn't know Brett, and this is not a life changing ordeal we are walking through. But Brett Favre was my son's favorite...and he is really bummed right now. If I can't care about the little things my kids walk through and get sad about, how can I be effective in the big things.

Showing our kids we love them and truly care about them means that we walk through their hurts with them daily and that we take them seriously. We know they'll get through these situations....but at that very moment....it is everything to them. The Proverbs 31 woman knows this. She takes time for her kids and her husband too. She speaks kindly to her children with understanding, she doesn't discount their feelings. I have to admit, I don't always live up to this. Today, thankfully was a good day. I hope for many more good days to follow.


Proverbs 31: 25 - 29

She is strong and is respected by the people. She looks forward to the future with joy. She speaks wise words and teaches others to be kind. She watches over her family and never wastes her time. Her children speak well of her. Her husband also praises her, saying "there are many fine women, but you are better than all of them".

2 comments:

Kevin said...

Thank you for always knowing how to respond to the emotions of our boys. And for teaching me to do the same. It's takes a wife and mother like you to turn an ordinary man into a loving husband and father. You bless me in so many ways.

In my bible, Psalms 31 reads:

Shannon is strong and is respected by the people. Shannon looks forward to the future with joy. Shannon speaks wise words and teaches others to be kind...
Kevin praises her, saying "there are many fine women, but you are better than all of them".

I love you.

Wayne Ratliff said...

To my grandson, Scout;
One of your heros is retiring and it seems like it will not be the same next season, and in a small way it may not. There will be a new quarterback in command of your team, the Packers. Players and coaches will change. But the memories of being with your dad, on the couch, cheering for your team will not change. There are more memories to come. The best memories I have of watching Bear Bryant and the Crimson Tide are the ones of my father and I; traveling to New Orleans for the Sugar Bowl and to Mississippi, Georgia and Legion Field. The memories that will stay with you are the one with you, your father, grandfather, uncle..the whole family being together and pulling for Brett and the Packers. Next season Brett may not be on the field, but like you, he will be with his family, making memories that last a lifetime. Love you, Papa