Sunday, March 23, 2008

Tradition

What a beautiful Easter Sunday!! I hope the weather was as beautiful where you were as it was in Birmingham, Alabama. I have enjoyed every part of this day! The entire weekend was good. We had Kevin's parents come for a visit. They arrived on Friday and we enjoyed a wonderful Good Friday service. Saturday we enjoyed family time and some competitive Triaminos. And today, a wonderful Easter Service together. I also have say that also on Saturday night, we had good family time as we colored our Easter Eggs. Egg decorating was wild this year. As the boys get older, it's less sweet and cute and more about who can make the craziest egg. Or, who can smash the other brother's egg first. But...even with all the craziness, we are making memories. That...brings me to tradition.

My son Scout talked alot today. He liked talking about the many things that we do year after year at family gatherings and holidays. Actually, my dad arrived carrying a gallon of Milo's tea and that pretty much started his rant. Scout said that I never buy Milo's tea unless we are having a family dinner or it's some holiday. I guess he's right. I am not sure I ever noticed that small fact. But he sure did! But while noticing, he noticed many other things we do as tradition. What is tradition really? Here is the definition I found for tradition;

Tradition - the handing down of information, beliefs, and customs by word of mouth or by example from one generation to another without written instruction.

Without written instruction, that intrigued me. While it intrigues me, it also inspires me. I feel like that is what we are doing! You know exactly what I mean, don't you? The way you do things during holidays is the way they are suppose to be done...... right? Like, if you go to another home for a holiday, and things are done differently...there is a part of you that kind of feels like it's just wrong. Admit it. We've all been there.

Our family traditions are important to us because in some ways we count on them to take us back. Back to fond memories, familiar places and feelings of security. That is what my son was saying today. He was enjoying all the many traditions of our day. Some of those traditions are food related. Others are decorating eggs and having certain decorated eggs year after year. I found it kind of funny that as we were decorating our eggs, Scout was not good with Kevin deciding to forgo his 'traditional' spider man egg. Scout decided he would make one and proudly proclaimed that he would carry on the 'Johnson Egg Tradition'. Even as I type this, I realize how many things he has pointed out over the last two days that are special to our family.

You know, there are certain things that I count on as 'tradition' as well. At Thanksgiving, I love my mom's cornbread dressing. At Christmas, I enjoy my stocking from Kevin. He knows exactly what I mean by that. It's always special for me. On family trips, I love stopping at a gas station and getting my Diet Dr. Pepper and some Fritos BBQ Twisters (that is my road trip tradition). There are more...but I won't bore you with those. I am just trying to make the point that we all have things we consider tradition that we look forward to and we hold dear to our hearts.

Traditions make our homes feel special. They are also what make our home different from others. I could see today as Scout was talking about our Easter traditions and family traditions in general that he found comfort and joy in those things. It is something he is sure of. I hope those memories are things he'll remember and smile about when he has left our home. I want our home to be a safe, fun, loving place where they will one day leave...but will enjoy returning (OFTEN) for holidays because he loves his family traditions.

As we raise our children, I think traditions are one of the best gifts we can give them. Customs and examples, handed down from one generation to the next. I really believe that when we take the time to make these moments happen, not only our children, but our spouses and family members feel special and grow closer together.

Today, why not ask your family to share their favorite family traditions. It can be for any holiday. Just ask. If they have a hard time coming up with one....don't feel bad, just start one. When is the next birthday? That is a perfect occassion to have special traditions that are unique to your family.

I love my family and have had a wonderful Easter Sunday with you all! Thank you for such a special day!!!

1 comment:

diane said...

The pleasure was all ours my precious daughter. By the way, let's not make catfish a traditional Easter food. Let's just stick with ham.