Tuesday, March 18, 2008

My Spring Break Experience 1990 - MTV Daytona

It's amazing what a difference 18 years can make! When I think back to what my life was like this time 18 years ago, I can't help but think how the culture has changed. MTV is a great example of that. In March of 1990, I was living with two girls that were going to Samford University. Both of whom I met at my church. We had a great group of friends, and I still see one of those girls ever year. I wish it were more often.

Anyway, Natalie was one of roommates and her parents lived in Daytona Beach, FL. Can you say Roadtrip? My other roommate had a convertible so that was definitely part of the trip. We thought we were something. We packed up (over packed) and headed south with a car full of girls and a car of guys that followed. We all stayed with Natalie's parents. All 9 of us. Natalie's mom loved having a house full and we enjoyed her cooking and the fact that she did all of our laundry before we left. Wow...now that I think about it, that was pretty amazing.

At that time, Daytona was the location for MTV's Spring Break show. We were so excited because on stage that week was Salt 'N Pepa (you know you remember them) Chaka Khaun and Vanilla Ice. We had a blast and kept all our clothes on too! Hmmmm, what a concept.

Fast forward, and a change of scenery. MTV now sets up camp in Panama City, FL. I can't even imagine the lives that are being changed this very week because of some bad decisions that will be made. Kids, making adult decisions and not having the ability or desire to see what is ahead of them. Some, will have guilt, shame or even physical consequences due to activities they involve themselves in. Some kids will be hurt or worse, somebody will die because of carelessness while under the influence. A very dark week I am sure.

I was talking with my oldest son about how things have changed. It was an actual, back in the day conversation. It all started with us talking about his friends that are at the beach this week, and some things they've talked about. His confused feelings on why they are doing certain things, how his friends are changing and then the all important friendly debate on cussing. I told him that 'back in the day' I could probably count the times on my 10 fingers that the F word was said in front of me, either in person or at the movie theater. Not that people didn't cuss, but that there were limits what words you would use. Today, that word is a favorite. Go to any locker room and you'll hear it over and over. Nick says that you hear it so much....you just DON'T hear it anymore. Oh...that hurt my heart. Then, with much emotion he shared with me that he feels weird about about some of his friends and how they view girls. One of his closest friends has a new girlfriend of only one week. The guy shared with Nick that they 'made out' this past weekend. Nick said that he talked to his friend about rushing things and that making out after one week was probably a bit fast, etc. But, his friend pretty much told Nick, he was good....pretty much liked the arrangement. Yes...most teenage boys would.

I can see the battle raging within my son. The one who created him is calling to him. The one who wants to destroy him is always present. Waiting for an opportunity to hurt, wound and derail. It is serious.

As a mom, I can pray for him, love him, talk to him, laugh with him, discipline him and provide a safe place and loving home where he knows who he is, and who he is called to be. I can be consistent in what we allow to come into our home so that I reaffirm standards that he is testing out and evaluating right now.

What I DO NOT need to be is a wavering parent. I do not need to try to be his friend or give in to things that I know are not good for him. He needs a parent, not a friend. Goodness knows he has plenty of those right now.

The culture is different now than when I was 15. But I know there were dark things around me back then too. I am so grateful when I look back and see how the hand of God has been present in my life. The people God placed in my path to rescue, encourage and disciple me. I sometimes have a fear that comes over me when I think that my kids will mess up and make the wrong decisions that will bring hurt into their lives. One day, I was expressing that fear to God. I think it was more like, "God, what if they mess up and walk the other way from you?" As sure as I am sitting here, I heard him speak to me. He so sweetly said, "Then I will be here for them, just like I was for you". Wow...how calming that is for my mama heart. A heavenly father, who will never leave them. Who loves them more than I can ever try to love them. That is amazingly hard to fathom.

The culture may have changed and the peer pressure may be greater and more intense than it was 18 years ago. But our God has not changed. Aren't we thankful?

Hebrews 13:8 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever.

1 comment:

The Gluten Free Bluebird said...

hey, I am so enjoying your blog. and I'm very jealous of your adventure to Daytona Beach... Salt n Pepa? Vanilla Ice? Chaka Khaun? I must admit I got to Daytona that year too but missed all the fun. I was on a highschool band trip and the chaperones sort of got in the way. (however, Mike was with me... more on that another day...)

thanks for giving me a shout out, I will do the same for you! smiles, shelley