Sunday, March 2, 2008

Manly Things


I love manly things. I do! What I mean by this is that I love that my boys like manly things. I enjoy seeing them totally get into hunting and stuff like that. Maybe it makes me feel more feminine...I'm not sure. I truly embrace being a boy mom. Maybe because it's all I know....or maybe because God has placed that passion inside me. I'll go with that answer. My friend Julie and I talk about this alot. You see, we both have a house full of men. It's always loud and crazy and neither of us would trade it for anything! We enjoy paintball days as we watch our husbands and boys shoot each other and try to steal the flag from the other team. It's so much fun. I actually need a paintball Saturday sometime soon! It's almost getting too hot....how can Julie and I drink coffee and watch them play if we don't have at least a small chill somewhere! I'll have to talk with her soon about this!!!! Anyway, this past weekend Kevin took Nick on a pheasant hunt with some other men from our church. It was great. Not only did they come back with 6 pheasants, but Nick came back with so many stories and memories. He loved being with all those men. I am thankful he has respect for men that are his elders and that he recognizes their authority over him. With each of our boys, I want to be sure we are teaching them to have respect for their elders. I find that the younger generation is truly misplacing the ideal of respect. So many young adults feel respect is something you give only after you've received it. Something is wrong with that. I want my kids to give it freely to others, even when at times they may not deserve it. Sometimes you have to give respect in spite of age, position or anything else that you feel should go along with the courteously of respect. You know? When I think about that, one of my most favorite verses in the bible comes to mind.

Philippians 2:1-4
If you've gotten anything at all out of following Christ, if his love has made any difference in your life, if being in a community of the Spirit means anything to you, if you have a heart, if you care— then do me a favor: Agree with each other, love each other, be deep-spirited friends. Don't push your way to the front; don't sweet-talk your way to the top. Put yourself aside, and help others get ahead. Don't be obsessed with getting your own advantage. Forget yourselves long enough to lend a helping hand. (The Message)

I love that! Could this be any clearer? I mean, it says it so plainly. If Christ's love has done anything for you.....anything!!!! Put yourself aside - how awesome is that? I want to teach my kids to do that...I want them to see that in others too. Lord, help me to show that each day as I live. Sometimes it's hard...but because you have done so much for me - it's the very least I can do!!!

1 comment:

Bridget said...

Shannon, My Dad was one of the men involved in planning this hunting trip. The night before the trip he could hardly sleep wondering if everyone would have a good time and if everything would go smoothly. You know how it is when you are in charge of an event. I sent my Dad a link to your blog yesterday and just got a phone call from him today. He had just read it and could hardly talk with me on the phone because he was so touched by your words. He said that your story made all the work and worrying worth every minute. He wanted me to pass this message along to you since he doesn't understand this whole concept of how blogging works. I appreciate the way that you are able to communicate with people your feelings. That is a gift that I have not been blessed with. Thank you for making my Dad understand the reason why this trip was put together. We love you guys and keep on blogging!!!
Bridget