Tuesday, April 1, 2008

It's a beautiful day....why are you inside????


Alright, after a night and morning of total rain we are truly enjoying an amazing afternoon. Why then....do my children want to stay inside? I guess that is a problem that all parents have at one time or another. I just remember it being so different when I was growing up. My mom would have to yell and yell for us to come inside some days! We would play outside until it was dark. That was typically the sign for us to go in for the night.

After everyone got home today and we had our chats about who did what and who had what homework - I threw them out! I opened the door and said.....alright guys, not sure what you'll do...but go find something to do outside. They looked as if I had grounded them. It took a few minutes, but finally....Ah...it happened. They were enjoying some rough time on the trampoline. Nick found some quiet time in the hammock. They were truly enjoying the afternoon. I so enjoyed watching them as I sat on my porch and typed.......um....yes, typed reply emails to my clients. So not fair! But...my view, was amazing. Not a beautiful view from the resort I work in, but an awesome view of my boys. Suddenly, I was reminded of how blessed I have been to have a job that I love that also allows me to be home each afternoon. God is good. So good....and so generous.

Can you think of something great God has given you today? I sometimes over look those things. I don't mean to, I just get busy with life. I find that I have to take time to remind myself of the many blessings I have received and then share with my kids just how grateful I am...and to who I am grateful! I want my kids to know that my blessings come from the Lord and I am thankful. Just like when we pray and and thank God for our food. Really......God, we thank you for our food. I reminded my oldest of that just last night as he was trying to rush through a very rehearsed dinner prayer. When he finished, I asked him - "What were you saying to God just then?". He said, "the blessing". I asked him again, "no, what were you saying to God? You know He is listening to you when you pray and he knows your heart.". I told him I was not getting on to him, I just wanted to remind him that empty prayers don't fool God. He knows the heart of the one who speaks to Him. He knows if we are grateful and thankful....and he knows when we just spout words. I reminded my boys that some kids don't have food. They would love what we have, I told them. Scout was quick to tell me that he would gladly give WHOEVER the chicken pot pie that sat in front of him! He was not happy last night and sat there FOREVER - but that is another story. Mom - it's true, but we didn't reach the 9pm time. He'll have to try harder to beat my record!! Anyway...back to being grateful and thankful - I want to have a grateful heart and teach my kids to do the same. I forget far too often how wonderfully blessed my life really is.

Lord, we thank you for a beautiful afternoon, for children playing outside, children who are able to play outside. Lord we thank you for our jobs and how you provide for us. Food, homes and so much more! You are so good to us and we love you.

No comments: