Saturday, April 5, 2008

Wisdom


I remember early years of raising my boys when random people would tell me, "enjoy these early years, they go by so fast". My thoughts would sometimes be...Oh...I wish at least today would go by...I'm exhausted! That was usually when someone was crying in a stroller or fussing because I was saying no to their latest object of desire. ( I know Kevin, I said yes a whole lot too, I know) I remember feeling overwhelmed when my house was completely a wreck and the laundry load was SO LARGE that I had to go to the laundry-mat to use the commercial machines on a Saturday just so I could get caught up for the week! No kidding. There were days when the thought of what in the world will I make for dinner was equal to the square root of some number that I can not figure out. You know what I mean. Or...maybe you don't. But I do! When you are in the middle of raising your children those early years, you genuinely can't see past the now sometimes. Though you love your children DEARLY, at times you are frazzled into a state of total disillusionment. Is that a word?? Well, if not...it should be.

Yesterday, one of our former assistant's stopped by the office to show us her twin babies. They are 6 months old, a boy and a girl - AMAZING!!! They are just great. Leigh strolled in with this huge double stroller - and she looked amazing as ever too. She worked with us right out of college. Always active and doing amazing things, she cheered in college (and was good friends with Eli Manning...oh..pardon me I seemed to have dropped something there),was president of her sorority, moved to Birmingham, met a young man in medical school, left us,become a pharmaceutical sales rep, married a doctor and planned to have lots of money. (I know...that was not a grammatically correct sentence) Well, after they married, they planned to wait on kids until they were financially ready. But God said....I have a special gift for you two. Now, she stays at home and for the last 6 months has been a full time mommie to those babies! Though amazing....her days are long and busy. There is a part of her that misses the freedom and self indulgence she enjoyed just 2 years ago! She looked at me yesterday while everyone was going crazy over her babies and said...I no know why you said you liked your job so much. She said, "This is hard". I could sense if we were alone, the tears would have flowed. She mentioned that there is a part of her that is sometimes resentful because her husband gets to go to work. That is so normal. I encouraged her and agreed with her on how hard it was. I also offerred for me and Kevin to go to her house ANYTIME to watch those babies. We have baby fever and love to love on other people's babies. You see....we know....the days and years really do fly by. Ours have. Oh the wisdom of those random people when my kids were small....

When I got home yesterday, there was another reminder for me of how fast time goes by. My neighbor Shelley dropped in with Cannon. I think he is now 3. Now, if you've read my blog before, Cannon is also the little guy who woke up one morning with all the stuff in his jammies!!! Go back and read that one from last month if you missed it. Shelley wrote a sweet blog on that!!! Anyway, Cannon loves my boys because they are big and they love him...because he is little and way cool. Anyway, we chatted for a while and then she left Cannon to play with the boys. Watching him run around and play with the boys was just wonderful. His voice, just precious. He got a snack from our snack jar and just held it. I picked up on the fact that he needed some help opening the wrapper, so I asked him "Do you need me to open that for you?". He quickly said, "yes, I can't because I'm little". I then said, "You're not too little, your big". He just grinned, and jumped on the couch between Scout and Max. I just loved it!!! I see my boys in him. We've come far from that age and I wonder, what I missed. You know, the days that I was so busy, stressed or overwhelmed that I took for granted a cute smile, precious words or invitation to play a game or read a book.

I have another friend, Jennifer who has two young kids. Her stories of her little girl are hysterical. She is one my Sugar Baby sistas. We love to hear Chloe storis, because they are so far out...you can barely believe it happens. Let me just say....Jennifer's precious girl can even get out of a duck taped diaper! I wish I could share that story with you. Maybe I'll ask her to write it and I'll post it!! Priceless. Anyway, within our group - she is the youngest and has the youngest children. She is in that place where nothing ever feels completed, your house is always a task list and the kids are always in need of your time and energy. Many of us remember those days. She needs us to be there for her to encourage and pray for her and remind her not just that the days will get better. In all seriousness, where is the encouragement in that? Because those are BETTER DAYS. But to enjoy them. Not push off her very real feelings of daily mom frustrations, but to find joy there as well. To share our failures and feelings of frustration we had at that time and things we did to find joy. We've all been there. I don't know many June Cleavers. Another one of my SB Sisters has twin boys that have entered adulthood. That's my Melanie. She tells us when we need to stop sweating all the small stuff. She can share that we have to give our kids wings and that they will eventually have to walk out their own faith and life journey. She is one of my go to people right now. My oldest is closer to her boys, excuse me, men and I find many things I can relate to in parenting from what they have been through.

As mom's and dad's we need to encourage each other. This is but a season in our life. And we all know seasons pass one from another. We are either a season behind or season ahead of others in our lives. We can find encouragement, laughter and wisdom from those who have already walked through the seasons we are presently experiencing.

I know this is long....and it is Saturday morning. So, I am now going to enjoy my day with my boys. Yes, Kevin is still out of town visiting with his Grandparents now in Winter Haven. We are ready for him to come home! I've said it before, but I am blessed. I love my family and I will enjoy the time spent with my boys today!!

Psalm 90:12...So teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom.

2 comments:

Wayne Ratliff said...

Like Trace Adkins sings, "Your Gonna Miss This". I can remembr the same things when you and your sister were small; with kids you start out as simply a "life support system" and almost no life of your own...or so you think at the time. But look at all the treasures you get in return. Sometimes, it seems just like last week; you were having to carry them everywhere and now they have lives, babies of their own and schedules that will not always include you....but you get the grandkids occassionally and it makes it all just fine. We love you all.

Anonymous said...

I love this one. And after being out of town this week, I was longing for some time with my boys.
Flying to Orlando there were plenty of kids and babies on board. Some crying, some full of excitement and questions about the plane. I sat and listened and took it all in. Even the crying. It was wonderful.
In the family seated behind me, the father pointed out the clouds for his daughter. She pressed herself against the little window and asked, "Do we get to see Jesus?". Oh, I hope they wrote that one down.
I love you, Shannon, and I am so proud of you!