Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Oh....I almost forgot....Happy Earth Day!


Wow....going green is definately the trend huh? While I agree we need to be good stewards of our earth's resources....some people take this a bit too far! I am attending a tradeshow this week and today...was the official observance for the hotel community to take hold of Earth Day. As a sales person...when I go to tradeshows, I hand out my material and usually give away a few little trinkets. You know...the typical goody with my hotel name and phone number so they won't forget me! Being a resort...I usually have cool goodies. Like hand poured travel candles....Wow....

Well, today our directive at this tradeshow was to talk only and not hand out brochures or anything printed on paper. (um...business cards) We were not to bring any give aways. (like my really cool hand poured candles) We were to observe Earth Day. This would be our way of respecting our earth's resources. Whatever....it was wierd. So while we were all using our laptops for our powerpoints instead of killing trees and handing out brochures......we were all burning hours of electricity. Did we really make that much of a difference?

My family has made a more consious effort to recycle at home. Or...maybe I should say Kevin is making a more consious effort. I really do want to do my part too. I just don't always think about it. But I do think about how precious my world is and I know WHO created it. Some of my 'green' friends don't know that!!! Nor...are they open to knowing more about my God and how he had a plan for how our earth would function and how the resources within the land would allow us to live, breath and MAKE Paper!!!! I know who created ME! And...you too for that matter. We didn't just appear you know....no Big Bang people!

Have you heard about the movie 'Expelled; No Intelligence Allowed'? Ben Stein has a wonderful film I think we should all see and take our children to see as well. Plugged In has a great review on this film. Take a moment to visit this webpage and see what you think.

http://www.pluggedinonline.com/movies/movies/a0004010.cfm

Kevin had mentioned this movie to me last weekend. At dinner Monday night, a former pastor asked me if I had seen it. He and his wife saw the movie over the weekend and they said it was fabulous! A must see. There are too many times our schools and public offices are so quick to go green because it is politically correct. But....try to offer them a Christian perspective on our world's creation......YOU CAN'T DO THAT!!!! Wow....not open to that at all.

See what you think. Let me know if you see the movie or please comment if you did see the movie already. What did your kid's think???

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

just saw Expelled, it was well done overall. the fact that Ben Stein isn't trying to win any popularity contests helps to validate his message... i gather that his goal is to promote free thought, especially more thinking about worldviews that drive American academia