Monday, April 28, 2008

My birthday - my parent's day too!


Well, yesterday was my birthday. It was a GREAT day. It began with my husband serving me with coffee & Sunday paper in bed as he gave me my very own Pink Ipod, some tunes already loaded. (I've told you he is a GREAT gift giver) My son Scout surprised me with an ITunes Card. How fun! I get to choose and download my own songs. That will be a fun project for today. The day was just perfect as I spent the time with my family and friends. I am so blessed to have people who love me. That in itself is the sweetest gift.

But as I kept saying, this day is not a big deal, I mean, it is just another birthday. But, it is my birthday. And I started thinking how special my kids birthday's are to me. How I remember them being born. How special they are as 'gifts' to me. Then I got messages from my parents. My dad sent a sweet email about how he remembers me being a baby...and a little girl wanting his attention. My mom left a message on my answering machine just as we were getting home from church. It was during the very time I was born to her in the hospital. She was recalling what that was like for her. Max heard the message first and said, "Mom..your mom is making a beautiful speech about you, come listen". I told him to not interrupt....lets let her finish and then I'll listen to the whole thing! I did! Then I called her back!! Didn't want to interrupt the beautiful speech!!! I love the way Max says things. Anyway, that was so special for me. So, though 39 might have first seemed to be just another day for me....it was the day my parents received me as their daughter. Now, I could say...what a gift! But...I remember alot of the stuff I put my parents through. That...not so much of a gift. But they remember this day just like I remember the birthdays of my boys. Special and life changing.

It doesn't matter how old we are now, our parents still see us as their babies. They still remember all the bumps, bruises and days raising us. I'm still my mom and dad's little girl.....even at 39.

Look around at the people who love you today. I did that yesterday, and felt loved and blessed and thanked God for the people he's placed in my life. For friendship, family and God's plan for my life...which include all of you!!! What a good plan the Lord had for me...and still has as he leads me daily.

So what now?? I am going to make a list of a few things I want to do before I turn 40. Now, this list won't include things like get a tatoo. I'm over that phase I think. Really! But there are a few things I just don't want to put off anymore. Because believe me...when I turn 40, there will be another list. And a big party. Mark your calendars now. I want to have fun...so much fun that day, I foget that I'm 40! Mom, I'm going to ask your fogiveness now for the time I helped bake you a cake that said "over the hill". I think you were turning 30. If I remember correctly, the cake looked like a hill and at least we decorated it with flowers. I had no idea. Just thought it was a catchy birthday phrase. Yeah, not so much. Max reminded me that at least I was not 40. Actually, he said Mom, "That is how long God made the people march in the wild outside until they turned old. At least you didn't have to do that". Yeah....at least there is that! Thanks Max.

Have a wonderful day friends - thanks for making my day special yesterday.

3 comments:

Wayne Ratliff said...

I remember the day I heard frim your Aunt Margie I have a daughter. I was in San Antonio at the time and you and your mom were in Birmingham. Yes, it was a day of surprise and joy even though I was too many miles away. When I got home and held you I looked into those eyes and knew I was the happiest man in the world. It is a day I will not forget.
With the birth of Nick, Scout and Max you and Kevin learned what your mom and I felt with the birth of you and Jennifer.
Sometimes, when I remember things from your childhood and look at all the pictures it seems like it was just yesterday...well, maybe last week. We share in your day and your joy. We send our love to you and your family everyday, but espically on your birthday. That, as you said, was a day of celebrating and amazement and will always remain to be. We love you, Daddy

Kelly J said...

That was sweet of you to include your parents on your birthday, because I've always thought that it is the parents we should celebrate on our birthdays...When it's Alec's b-day, I make sure I get a HUGE piece of cake just for ME! haha

Anonymous said...

I am just learning about this blog spot of yours and although i dont have a lot of time to read through it all..what i have read so far has touched my heart & soul so deeply! It is so wild how just this past weekend i was thinking about my kids bdays (being the twins were ONE Sunday, also)and how it is for me to remember their births and thought about my parents and how they must feel on my Birthday and then i read this today...Being a Mother is an amazing gift from God! I look forward to reading this blog spot of yours MORE in the future. To learn more about you, my MOST Favorite cousin, and your BEAUTIFUL family!