Friday, April 18, 2008

Trying to figure it all out!


Last night, Nick had a friend date with a sweet girl also in the 10th grade at his school. The funny thing is that this girl would come over when they were in the first and second grade to play with the next door neighbor. Eventually, all the kids would end up in our backyard. I remember this girl being very much a tomboy. Very sweet, but always a tom boy. Today, that same girl is extremely active in sports at their highschool. She plays softball and volleyball. Always something!! And she loves it.

When Nick first told me they were talking and that he was surprised by his new interest in her, I agreed with yes...that is surprising. Hmmmm. Then, he shows me her picture. My....where is the tomboy I remember? This gal is gorgeous!!! And so sweet still. She seems to be very grounded in who she is and just enjoys having fun with her friends and sports. The way it should be.

Last week as Nick was talking about her, he shared how he will see her and want to talk with her in the halls at school. But then, the closer he gets to her, the more nervous he gets and he totally forgets what he wants to say. Ah....I so remember that feeling, don't you?? Well, I guess you get the point, he's smitten.

They went to a movie last night and he came back so perplexed. Trying to figure out, does she like me or not. He was very talkative, laughing, blushing and just silly to a degree. For us...it was the first 'after date' time when I thought....take hold of this moment. I was tired...but through his open conversation, I had received an invitation to sit in his room and talk about this girl that has stolen a piece of his heart and alot of his attention!!!!

If you are the parent of boys, don't assume that your son won't talk with you about his crushes and his after date experiences. They want to talk with us. It's not just a girl thing! Believe me. When I slow down enough to sit, look into their eyes and hear my boys....they can talk, and talk, and talk and talk.

I'll let you know what happens. His friends suggested that he give her a couple of days before calling again. I quickly told him that as a girl myself...I would want to hear from him, even briefly the day after a date just to know if my date had a good time. So, I shared the idea of texting her today to let her know he had a good time. What did he say back to me????? "Mom, you said you shouldn't text stuff like that to a girl. You say calling is more appropriate". Um, I did say that and I think I blogged about that a few weeks ago!!! I laughed, agreed and just told him I am glad that even when I am not sure.....he does hear me!!

No comments: