Tuesday, August 5, 2008

They will know HIM by my love.

As I was flipping through my prayer journal this morning, I was reminded at how good God is. How faithful He is. The reason for keeping a prayer journal is also reinforced within me because I can go back and see certain things where I've cried out to God...and how He's moved in those situations. Good and bad....there are some where He simply says, "you may not understand right now...but one day you will". Those are sometimes hard aren't they.

I am sitting in the middle of a situation where I feel closed. I feel my heart closing and that is dangerous. You see, I feel like the person in the "right"....I feel like I have a cause to be and say what I say to this person. And then...in the middle of my time with the Lord this morning, I see where I have prayed for this person over and over....and I ask God to move and to work. And I stay still. I hurt for them, and I am also hurt by them. But what I hear God saying to me is "They will know ME by your love for them Shannon". And in my situation now, I am not showing love. Unconditional love is humanly impossible to show. This means pushing aside pride, hurt feelings - even when they are considered justified. Unconditional is simply without conditions or stipulations.

What the Lord spoke to me this morning is that you can't stay still when you are asking Him to move. Love is a verb. It's something you do. They will know HIM by our love. By my love toward others. The person I want so desperately to reach can only begin to see what I want them to see in Christ when I move and look like the love of Christ. I am far from that right now. But, I'm making baby steps and I know that He is with me and will walk beside me the whole way. I just gotta be willing to love and act on that love for others.



John 15:12 My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you

John 13:34-35 "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."

Luke 6 (The Message Translation)

35-36"I tell you, love your enemies. Help and give without expecting a return. You'll never—I promise—regret it. Live out this God-created identity the way our Father lives toward us, generously and graciously, even when we're at our worst. Our Father is kind; you be kind.


On vacation this summer, I bought a sign to hang in my kitchen. I love hanging quotes and sayings within our home. I love having this reminder....

Live your life in such a way that those who know you but don't know God will come to know God because they know you.


Lord, thank you so much for your Word. I pray for the courage and boldness to live out what I say I believe and I pray that you quicken my spirit to act and show your love at all times. Please forgive me Lord, for falling so short of this. Thank you for a new day.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Shannon, your site was sent to me by my pastors wife. I have been reading it for a couple of weeks now. You have encouraged me and I want you to know that I am praying for you and your situation. My pastor and his wife serve in Tenessee at Grace Chapel. We are involved in Middle Tennesee Tres Dias and have been so blessed. I have heard that you too serve in the BTD community. Praise God. I am lifting you and your situation up in prayer. I've actually written it on my mirror. May God continue to bless you with favor and wisdom. Love, Marty Fallen