Tuesday, July 8, 2008

What God said to me today.



Ok...so today, I took our youngest to camp. He was so excited!!! He loves camp with his friends. I had been in his cabin for only minutes when he was already eating beef jerky and promising scary stories to his friends. Ah...it will be a good week. I love that for him. Here is Max as we were leaving this morning.


After I dropped him off, I drove through my old stomping ground! It is always amazing to me to see how things change over time. How things are so different than what I remember. For some reason....when I drove by my high school, a Bible Verse ran through my mind.

Isaiah 40:8

The grass withers and the flowers fall,
but the word of our God stands forever


I began thinking about the way I felt when I was in high school. The feeling you may remember too, of feeling like this is the best. All the things as teenagers we feel that make us totally vulnerable to our peers. It is amazing how many kids (including myself way back then) who have their worth tied into their feelings of all that matters within their high schools.

Looking at these pictures of my old school, I see how its changed. Still an operating high school...but its lost much of its glory. The other pictures are key spots I would go as a teenager. The smaller storefront was a Turtles Store. How many cassettes did I buy there? I have no idea. I know that I bought my treasured A-HA cassette there. That was totally a great album. Remember them? So fun... anyway - the point is....they didn't stand the test of time did they?


This is the Old Turtle Record store. Before then...I think maybe it was a Magic Platter. Remember that one?????

Its like driving through this area was a reminder to me that though I thought everything back then was so important....it wasn't. Well...some was and I did some great things as a teenager. But the whole popularity, fitting in....all that stuff...just so didn't matter as much as I thought it did! Looking ahead, I have 3 boys that are going to think the same thing. And they won't be able to see it either when I tell them that there are things in this life so much more important than their 'here and now'. They'll see their high schools and friends and totally think that I don't know what I'm talking about. My job will be to help them hide THE WORD in their heart as much as I can because I do know...that all else will fade away. Success and accomplishments during their school time is so important. I'm not saying that it isn't. What I am saying....is that it is not everything. And, if I don't have the God part to marry with it...I'm missing something big for my kids.


The Grass will wither....the flowers will fade but the Word of MY GOD will stand forever! Longer than my poor high school and everything else! I guess....its a reminder for me to be realistic that my kids aren't necessarily going to 'get it' during their time in school....but God's word will stick with them regardless. A reminder for me to remember how it feels.....and to not expect them to be everything I was not. Did that make sense to you? It does to me.....maybe it makes more sense to you than you think. Hmmmmmmmmm



yeah, that's me and my girls from high school. They were from my church youth group...Oh the stories we could tell!

2 comments:

Amy Elizabeth Robinson said...

I love this post! And I love your HS pic. You are still beautiful! :)

Tonya said...

Yes the stories we could tell! What fun memories we have! All the sleepovers, youth trips, laughing until our face's hurt....

Love ya-
Tonya