Thursday, July 3, 2008

A Good List


Many of you know I love to read all kinds of raising kid books! Especially those on boys. Speaking of boys....don't you love that picture of those handsome boys? That is my nephew in the center, Alec. We are looking forward to seeing him this weekend. I thought the picture was great for thinking of boy books and boy stuff in general. Anyway, back to books. Often I find them and pass them onto Kevin. I think we have enough to share with most parents we know! Have I read each cover to cover? Most, yes. Others, looked more appealing in the bookstore! Last year, a good friend of ours Darrell Garret gave Kevin a book on raising boys. It is written by S. Truett Cathy. The book is called, ‘It’s Better to Build Boys Than Mend Men’. Cool title huh? Kevin read this book in a just a few days. He has recommended it highly to many of his friends as well. I recently gave it to my boss who is in the throws of raising his 16 year old son. Need I say more??? Anyway, after talking with my boss on the book and why he liked it, he mentioned a list found within the book. It is written by H. Leo Boles and truly is a great life list. I was thinking of the list this morning and a few of the things I could add to that particular list myself. I thought since it sparked thought in my life and things I want to share with my kids…..I would share it with you too.



Things I wish I had known before I was Twenty-One

That my heath after thirty depended in large degree on what I put into my stomach before I was twenty one.

How to take care of money.

That a man’s habits are mighty hard to change after he is twenty-one.

That a harvest depends upon the seeds sown.

The worthwhile things require time, patience, and work.

That you cannot get something for nothing.

The folly of not taking older people’s advice.

The value of absolute truthfulness in everything.

That what Mother wanted me to do was right.

Dad wasn’t an old fogy after all.

More of the helpful and inspiring messages of the Bible.

The greatness of the opportunity and joy of serving a fellow human being.

That Jesus Christ wants to be my Savior and Friend.



That is a great list isn’t it? What about you? What would you add to that list? Me? I would add these to my things that I truly wish I would have known before I was 21!

A Sister is a friend who is there when your BFFs forget who you are and where you live.

Authentic friendship is found when you stop pretending to be perfect.

The Holy Spirit is moving around me. Active in the wind, the creation and that little voice inside my head.

Keep a Journal…you won’t remember where you’ve been or the many cool things that God does for you if you don’t.

Oh…there are more……and probably they are similar to yours. Go journal some down and then share them with your kids. They have a few years before they turn 21!

No comments: