Thursday, June 12, 2008

When to raise the white flag.....

Summer is just beginning right? I mean we are just now in the middle of June - and I feel tired. Not that I am not enjoying my summer. But there is so much to do. So much to plan for! More laundry, more cleaning (because kids are home and so are their friends!!!), more food to buy and so on. I have made 2 trips to the grocery store this week. The food disappears within days! I have had 5 teenage boys since Tuesday, and believe me, they are having a blast! And please know...I love having them in my home. My boys have great friends - But it does take some work and patience mind you to have a home where kids can hang out.....and want to hang out.

Along with being a teenage busy house, I also work a very people demanding job. I love what I do...but there is always somebody who needs something from me. That seems to be all areas of my life. Most everybody's life I'm sure. I am blessed to have a job that is very flexible and allows me some time at home each afternoon. But there is still that obligation on my part to do my best and serve my employers to the best of my ability. I want to do a good job. I sometimes have a hard time drawing the line between me trying to do a good job and finding balance with my family and time at home. I have a hard time doing this even with my great schedule. It seems as though its a constant cycle. And at times....I can feel the cycle spinning way too fast. I get edgy and just need some space. I feel like I can't do it all and that makes me frustrated.

But guess what.....we can't do it all! It is so unrealistic for me to expect so much of myself. I am not superwoman...even though I like to think I am. You know what I mean, the woman who handles stress with ease, nothing bothers her and she totally still gets all of her laundry done....never letting anything sit longer in the dryer than neccessary! HA! You know that person!!! Even if you are not a woman...I know that men can wrestle with the same type of feelings and pressures.

Today, I am raising the flag. A time out if you will. I am BLESSED to have a boss that appreciates me. When I say I need a day for mental health, he says ok - I am going to pray for you, take the day. He knows that I work hard and my commitment to him is to get my job done. I can do this better when I see that I need a break and I raise my white flag. Those were actually my bosses words...."Thanks for knowing when to raise the white flag". Wow...a rush of peace already.

If you are running and pushing yourself to the limit....stop. Raise your white flag and take a day. Sick days are there for mental health too. I know that my family will benefit from me knowing when to say when. I'll be nicer.....and happier too. So go ahead...if you NEED it....Raise your flag and take time for yourself. If you love your friends and family....you'll do it!


Matthew 11:28

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest", says the Lord.

No comments: