Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Hard Conversations

Today is almost over, and I am glad to have part of it behind me. I had a hard conversation with a friend today. Basically - it was sharing a situation of moving churches. It's hard to leave what you know sometimes. The comfort and familiarity. The things we count on. But what happens when God says go? When HE says, I have a new adventure for you. I'm learning that you just go....you just do it. If you don't, he'll just keep bringing it back up every opportunity he gets until you finally say....OK God...I'll go. But sharing that with a friend who I know would be sad, is hard. In more ways than you think.

We've been at our church for a long time. Nine years in fact. It is familiar and a place we love deeply. The people we've grown close to are our extended family. We've all been there for each other through so many things. I could fill a journal with our experiences. Actually, I have gone through quite a few while at our church.

For the past few months, we've been praying about a restlessness we've felt and a leading to move to another church. Our decision is not sudden or without seeking God's plan. Finally, after a few months - we've agreed with God to go on a new adventure. A new experience with God leading us as we help launch a new church in our area. EXTREMELY unknown territory. But...oh...the possibilities! I feel a new excitement now to anxiously await what God is going to do and how we are going to be used to begin this new church.

Our kids are excited, but will also miss the familiar. We've talked with them and for the time being, we are allowing them to be involved in our current church so that they keep ties with their friends. They've done life with that church for 9 years. You just don't let go of something like that. But we know, that they too are going to be used to start this new church as well. We feel strongly it will be something that will help define their Christian walk as well.

As I think on our new task, I am also reminded I don't like change too much. So, I looked up the word and studied it for a bit. Here is what I found;

Change - VERB

1 to make different in some way

2 to pass from one form, state, or level to another
to give up (something) and take something else in return

3 to give up (something) and take something else in return


Antonym stabilize


I can look at all these words and be reminded that though I don't like change, it is necessary sometimes to grow, to be used by God, to keep being transformed by God into the person that he has already planned for me to be. He has a plan for me....for my husband and my boys. And unless we surrender and sometimes give up we want...we won't know that full plan. I don't know about you, but I don't want to miss a thing! Even if it means that sometimes I have to give up something (even something I love) for something else (maybe better than I've ever thought could be) in return.

I look forward to sharing more with you on this new phase of our life. We'll all be blessed I know.

Philipians 1:6
being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.

1 comment:

Kelly J said...

Shan,
You said it! Change is so hard because "familiarity" is our friend. We are so comfortable with what we know. Especially if it has taken us a long time to get to that point of knowing! But we have to look at what we have learned and use that to make more "friends". God uses our seasons of life to build something new!
Be encouraged in this season of change. I know you are so thankful for what those nine years have brought to you so far and can't wait to see where they will take you next!
We can't wait to be with yall on Friday! And what's this about my Max being gone???
Love you!