Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Father's Day



We are traveling down to Port. St Luce to see some family today. Long trip....glad we stopped last night and spent the night in a hotel. In case you are wondering...yes...traveling can be hard for me when choosing the fun roadside motels. I work in a wonderful resort, and sometimes can be a bit picky about where we stay. Last night, before we could get comfy...Kevin already began the process.....take off the bedspreads....don't touch the topside of the bedspread etc. Believe me, if you've seen Dateline's investigation of how often the bedspreads in most hotels are washed....its all true! But in spite of all that...we are now rested and are about to head out.

Back to today..Father's Day. I've often heard it said that you look for someone to marry that is like your father. I know several people where that is not the case. However, I find that I pretty much fit the comparison. Now, there are things about my husband and father that are different, but there is a deep rooted part of them that is a match. You see both are dreamers and both would do anything for anybody. I'm serious. There is something in both of them know they have been created to help others and that desire within them draws people toward them. I love them both. My mom laughs when I get crazy with my husbands projects and 'I can make that attitude'. He really thinks there is nothing he can't make or do! My dad....same thing. Why not! Especially where cars are concerned. I remember my dad working on many cars when I was growing up. He might have had a part or two left over each time....is that true? Or do I make that up? Dad...you can defend yourself here if you need to. Its all in love.

Anyway, today I am thankful for my dad. For the core values he instilled within me. The example he set for me in male leadership and for always making me feel loved and protected while growing up. Because of how he raised me, I knew what kind of man I wanted to be with. I love the picture of my dad above. He looks happy..that is the way he is most of the time. There are times he is stressed and even frustrated or mad. But, when asked he'll always respond with a familiar answer. He has a few he uses, but one of my favorite is 'Ah, Aint no hill for a climber'. My dad was often one to pick up hitchhikers. Now, he would probably come after me and my sister if we were to do that today. But I seriously remember one time around Christmas, my sister and I squeezing to one side of the Vega I think, because my dad could not leave this hitch hiker on the side of the road. He told us it would be fine and we needed to help him. I wonder if I remember that correctly....crazy if I do!

When I met Kevin, I knew he was the one. But...I had no idea what an awesome father he would be. Truly, when you see the man you love become a great father, you fall in love with them all over again. Ladies...you know what I mean don't you? The picture above is from a time at a Packer game with his brother and father and my nephew and Scout too. Kevin had a great dad that is now a wonderful father in law to me. I wonder if he knew having daughters one day would be so dramatic! HA! I am sure I (along with my sister in law) bring some drama into his life every now and then. But Kevin's dad imparted wisdom to him that help him lead my family. I am so thankful to him for that and thankful that he is my father in law. What a good gift to me.

Happy Father's Day to all the men out there. For the fathers you are within your home and for the father figure you are to those who do not have fathers inside their home. I am growing more and more aware of the homes that don't have that father influence and how without that....life can be so hard. I love that Kevin along with some of our other friends share their fatherly advice and time with other boys. So easy to see why so many love them!

Have a great Sunday and let the dads hold the remotes for the day....choose the restaurant for lunch or dinner...and don't forget to tell them how much you love them. Dad, I love you! Dad father-in-law...I love you too. And to my wonderful husband, I am in love with you and thankful for all that you do for our family.

2 comments:

Wayne Ratliff said...

I must comment on the left over parts issue. The circumstances surrounding that incident involved a buick which had a cracked head (remember the white smoke coimng out of the tail pipe...thought so). When I replaced the head I had to take off the air conditioner which did not work (and cost more to fix than the entire car was worth) so I did not put them back on. You and your mother only saw the left over "parts". Like any small incident in history, it grows larger with the passing of time.
Being a father is the greatest job I ever had and just when I thought I was getting a grip on it you call and tell me you met someone you were in love with and wanted to marry. If I remembr correctly, the first time I really spent any time with Kevin was when I helped move you two back from Tampa (how long was that after I first moved you to Tampa??). Now I must say that I could not have found a better man than Kevin. Like you, I watch him as you two raise my grandsons know that you are both doing it the right way. So from one father to another - Kevin Happy Father's Day, I love you. And Shannon you picked a treasure and I love you too.

Ken said...

not from Ken...from his better half Kelly.... :)
What a sweet comment from your dad! You are blessed to have such wonderful parents.
Ok. I am seriously in need of another youvegottoknowthis blog. What? Do you think you've been on vacation long enough???