Monday, June 23, 2008

Back from Vacation!!



Wow! What a great vacation we had last week. Both Kevin and I feel that we are well rested and ready for our week because it was such a great week. A friend of mine at work, showed me where the Expelled movie by Ben Stein is playing at the Dollar Theater in Hoover this week. I asked some of you about this movie a few months ago, but never made it out to see the film! Well…here is my chance and at $1 – I can’t pass this up. I think we’ll definitely take the boys this week. If you live in Hoover….check it out.

Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed
Rated PG, 1 hr 30 min

Carmike 10 – Birmingham $1 Theater
3443 Lorna Road, Birmingham, AL, 35216
Showtimes: 1:40, 4:25, 7:10, 9:40

Directed by Nathan Frankowski
Starring Ben Stein

Ben Stein travels the world and speaks to men and women who have lost their jobs and their standings in the scientific world because of their association with intelligent design. EXPELLED uses the Berlin Wall as a metaphor and asserts that these people have been unjustly ousted, merely for speaking their minds. It carefully explains the differences between creationism and intelligent design and demonstrates that the latter is a belief held by people of all deity-based faiths, not just Christianity. It also devotes time to the connections between Darwinism and Hitler's regime. The film's climax features Stein going head-to-head with Richard Dawkins, a renowned atheist and author of the bestseller THE GOD DELUSION. Obviously, neither man budges in his firmly held beliefs, but it's fascinating to watch a debate between two undeniably intelligent men, regardless of whose side you're on.

You know, after our time in Florida, there are a few experiences that make you wonder how anyone could resist the idea of God or the fact that there is a great Creator of our Universe. One vacation highlight was snorkeling. My husband and kids love it. Me….not so much…but that is ok. Our nine year old is passionate about snorkeling. I mean passionate. No fear….feels at home. I know that because he feels that strongly, it is a passion that God placed inside of him. It is who he created Max to be. I love that my job as his mom is not to squelch that….but it is to help foster and help him realize that passion. This means….when I know he’s safe in the water with my husband…I need to relax and allow him to enjoy that experience. Even when I see something large swimming with him. I know sometimes as a mom, my instinct is to be safe no matter what….and sometimes that can hinder an experience my boys are having. Sometimes….its good. For instance, when my boys want to have Roman Candle Wars…it is a good thing that I speak up and put my foot down. You know? But when the situation is something that is safe, but out of my comfort zone, I have to remember to relax and let them enjoy. Just because I may be scared of fish swimming with me, doesn’t mean that its bad for my 9 year old…you know? Anyway, all of that to say that Max’s favorite part of our vacation was swimming with the fish and manatees that just found there way to the Fort Pierce Beach and decided to swim with our family for over an hour. Wow! God made some really cool things, and Manatees (sea cows) were definitely one of them. Gentle, but amazingly large and strong. Again, how can anyone look at the variety of animals, birds and insects on our planet and totally believe….that they just happened. That…..is crazy.



Go see the movie if you can, I am going to and I hope I see you there.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love these pictures!!!

Kelly J said...

ok. I'm totally experimenting w/Blogger on you site! I couldn't find a way to delete my comment..I'm trying to access my website when my name is clicked on...thanks for letting me play!
I do love these pictures!