Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Homesick

You might be thinking I am about to write about one of my kids being homesick while at camp. Not the case. Its me! I am homesick...for my 9 year old to come home! Max left this past Friday on a wonderful trip to Disneyworld with his bestfriend from school. They are having a blast. I wish I could see his face as he is having all this fun. The family he is with is wonderful. They are great to him and he loves spending time at their house. I guess, to be honest, I just feel left out of this adventure!

I've talked with him every night but one and he is really having a blast. They already visited the Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom and Sea World. They are still going to go to MGM/Hollywood Park and Epcot - and possibly Magic Kingdom again. Whew...lots of fun!

Even though I know he'll be having fun, I suspect that mid week (like maybe tomorrow) he'll be ready for a little bit of home. Just in case that happens, I've hidden notes in his suitcase. Just little I love you notes to remind him that we hope he enjoys every minute and we'll see him on Saturday. I think our kids love knowing that we miss and love them...and love getting little reminders too!

Are your kids going to camp? Do you think you'll get a bit homesick? Its not that we want our children around us 24/7. Well, maybe we do... But in truth, for me its about the 'life' inside my house. I am used to the craziness my Max adds to my days. The responsibility I have of making sure he eats lunch and stuff like that. My other two boys are older and this summer are doing things on their own at times and are quite efficient at making their own lunches and eating whenever. But Max, will simply just not eat some days unless I make it for him and remind him...its time to eat. Now that is not what this blog is about. The eating lunch part anyway. This is just to get my feelings out about how as a mom, I miss being needed this week for little things like that? Do you ever miss that? Have your kids reached an age that they do so much on their own you have extra time on your hands? I know my older boys need me, sometimes in more ways than before, as teenagers. And I do love this season. I do! Its just different. Its like needing us on their terms sometimes. Not that 'I'm totally dependant upon you thing' that make us feel good as moms. I may sound crazy. As I drove home from work today, I was thinking...Oh, I need to get home to check on Max and see if he wants to play with a friend or something, but then as I remember he is not home - it hits me that I have time to run an errand. That part is nice....but the hug of a 9 year old is better.


I'm far from empty nest - and I'm sure over the next few years I'll be anxiously awaiting for all the boys to fly the coop....or maybe not. But I am sure I'll settle into the new season I am verging on. Just feels weird.

Ecclesiastes 3
A Time for Everything
1 There is a time for everything,
and a season for every activity under heaven:

No comments: