Monday, June 9, 2008

Playing Games

Do your kids like to play games with you? We love games at our house. All kinds...cards, boardgames, DVD games, you name it...and we probably play it! Tonight Max and I took on Kevin and Scout. It was fun for all of us...until Max and I took the lead. When that happened, Scout started taking his little brother down. I mean letting him have it verbally....Poor Max! Of course we asked him to stop and we didn't allow him to make Max feel bad. It was just obvious that Scout was not going to be happy, or play nice unless he was winning.

Max was enjoying it and totally having a great time! Scout was sulking and getting a bit smarty. We've seen this behavior a bunch lately. Even in the car after football practice with his friends - there is so much smack talk! I mean, there is more cutting on each other than complimenting what they see each other do on the practice field. Why is that?

It seems to be a struggle for Scout to compliment his peers and brothers when they do something good. Have you found that to be the case in your children? Do you find that they only seem to enjoy games when they are the one winning? I know that is normal for some kids and its a learning process to become a gracious winner and a friend who can truly wish the best for his friends at all times!!! That takes maturity. I am praying that Scout soon grows into that kind of friend. I also know that right now, his negative comments come from a place that feels insecure about his reality. That is why he feels a bit intimidated by others who may be doing better at some things than he is. Hey...I still struggle with that some times and I'm about to hit 40!


Ephesians 4:29

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.




That verse stands true in most EVERY circumstance we can walk into. Doesn't it? Does that mean that I can say something cutting when I feel bad about myself? No! It doesn't allow for us to ever say anything bad, mean spirited or hurtful to or about anyone else. It says to only say what is helpful...beneficial. Maybe if I keep that standard with my children, they will learn to be gracious losers as well as humble winners. They'll grow into people that are able to give compliments....even when they feel a bit jealous. They'll learn as we all need to learn that its just not about us....ever. You know? It's always about someone else and seeing something good.

If you know my kids...please feel free to pinch their little arms if they are ragging on each other. I need all the help I can get. I know I still have years of this ahead of me, but I do look forward to hearing more of those good comments, one brother to another. It happens....but its rare at times. Whew...I'll get psyched up for another game night soon! They are too much fun to stay away from.

1 comment:

Distybug said...

Hey, I'm a little behind in reading your blog, but I wanted to let you know about Boomama if you don't already. She's at boomama.net and she's hilarious!