Monday, October 6, 2008

When God Calls YOUR Name....


Wow, I am so excited to share what is going on in our lives. Since May of this year, we have been part of a vision to plant a new church in Birmingham, Alabama. The church is called a2. That alone has you asking questions doesn't it? It is a church that loves God and all His people. I know all churches do......its just that I am experiencing this in amazing ways right now where I am with a2. The reaching out to others has been such a blessing to me! Beginning this church has opened doors for me to share my faith with others, that I might not have had without this experience. a2 is a different church...we are in a storefront for goodness sakes. I never thought that would appeal to me...but sometimes, that is what is most appealing to others. Sharing a2, I'm finding that is simply what some people need and are craving.

Check out this video from our lead pastor Chris Goins. I watched it this morning and was more than excited! I can't wait!!

We are a body of believers that are totally excited to provide new opportunities for worship and encounters with Jesus. It's a church for those who might have given up on church in the past. A church that desires and longs to see what God sees in each and every person...... His image, people more than worthy to be reached out too....the reason we go to church and the reason each of us become Christians in the first place. It's all about Him. About the God who loves us all....equally, and gave his life for us...that we might go out and reach the lost, the ones who feel they have nowhere to go. The ones who feel....maybe church didn't 'work' for them last time. a2 will be a beacon for God's Love.

About a year ago...or possibly more, Kevin and I felt a stirring to do something. But, we didn't know what. It was like a restlessness that I can't explain any other way than to say it was just a sensing that God was leading us to do something different. We talked about many things....but nothing felt definitive in that we knew it was where God wanted us. We've talked occasionally about the mission field and what that would mean for our family.....one day...would that be our calling??? Well, in hearing about A2, and the plans that were unfolding - we became more and more drawn to the vision. Once we heard the plan - we knew - we both knew immediately God wanted us to be part of this church plant. Once we both said out loud our feelings, and agreement - we no longer felt that restlessness. When God calls you to do something you can run and run, but you will not find rest. When you submit and commit....you might be busier than you've ever been in your life - but your soul will find rest...that is for sure.


Take a moment and read Acts chapter 2...its not long. Click here.

These verses sum up a2 for me;

The Fellowship of the Believers

42They devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. 43Everyone was filled with awe, and many wonders and miraculous signs were done by the apostles. 44All the believers were together and had everything in common. 45Selling their possessions and goods, they gave to anyone as he had need. 46Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, 47praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved.


I praise God for my new church family and I pray many blessings for those involved in this amazing adventure. It's my privilege to run this race along side all of you!

No comments: