Monday, October 13, 2008

I love that he grants sleep to those he loves!

Psalm 127:2
2 In vain you rise early
and stay up late,
toiling for food to eat—
for he grants sleep to those he loves.

I've read this verse quite a few times lately. Don't you just love it when God places His word in your path over and over, as if to say....HELLO!!!! Don't you see what I am trying to teach you? To show you???? I think God is trying to tell me to stop trying to do it all on my own...and to let him show me the more important things I should be doing. I love how sweet those words sound....'he grants sleep to those he loves'. Ah.....sleep a good thing......we should not try to get less in order to do more. Funny...THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I DO! And now...I've read quite a few times, that doing that...is all in vain? It's like a ton of bricks are falling on my head...and I should be saying...DUH.

I was talking with my friends Shelley and Kay this past Friday about how fast we run and how over scheduled we seem to stay even with good things we think we are supposed to be involved in. Sometimes you have to take a step back and check your 'margins'. What are 'margins' you may ask?

I've been enjoying a devotional workbook by Patsy Clairmont and she talks very descriptively about the margins in our life. She talks about our lives as glasses of water and mentions that if we continue to fill them all the way up to the top....there is little room to add to every now and then. And we all know our lives are added to each day. The unexpected sick child, the friend who needs us, the extended family who misses us etc. And when our glasses are full....and these 'add to's' happen......we are over full and thus.....STRESSED!

I'm hearing God speak to me....I like the beginnings of the 127th Psalm too

Verse 1 - Unless the LORD builds the house,
its builders labor in vain.
Unless the LORD watches over the city,
the watchmen stand guard in vain.

How much of what I do is driven by me? What would happen if I filtered everything I do through HIM? What a thought....It's a process.....I'm learning, I'll keep you updated.

But now, I must run and get Pepto for my 16 year old who has a less than cooperating stomach. Ah.....my first 'add to' of the day. :) Glad I had margins this morning.

No comments: