Tuesday, October 28, 2008

God is our refuge & strength, an ever present help in trouble.....

Have you ever felt that you were losing control when your kids are out there making their own decisions and sometimes falling on their face at the same time? Yeah, right now is one of those times for me. I have such a controlling personality. I want to help….at least that is what I say to myself – but in all honesty it’s a controlling thing because of my fear that either my kids will fail and get hurt….or they will miss something.

God has been telling me daily….Let it go Shannon. I’ll do it Shannon. Don’t move on this Shannon. Let them work this out Shannon. Oh boy, I could go on. So I sit and pray. And pray and pray some more. The verse that tells us to pray without ceasing has never been so real for me. I find that each time I consider one of these situations we are walking through with our boys, I want to plan out a course of action – sit them down and pray with them and help them realize what they could do differently. I want to help them fix it.

That is not a bad thing – Not entirely. And there is a place to step in when our kids are at risk or need us. But there is a time for our kids to walk their spiritual journey all on their own, while they are in our homes under careful care and prayer. That is where I am. Trying to find a balance as a mom as they are learning to fly……before they leave my nest.

So, I hear this verse…..while I hear the Father telling me not to act right now… “Be still and know that I am God”. And I hear it, but I want to be sure God doesn’t need my help….you know what I mean? I know you do. How many times do you feel the need to work something out because you feel you can….and God needs you to do that right? Wrong….He needs us to be still. He needs me to be still and allow his spirit to work within my kids. He needs Kevin and I to lead them…but then he will allow his spirit to grow within them. They won’t be under my wing forever…and I know that, but truthfully, I don’t love knowing that. Not right now anyway.

As I was praying this morning for my family – the Lord also led me to Psalm 46. When I read it, I realized God is the help of my children just like he is for me. They are at an age where they will and can call out to God when they need something and he’ll be there. Just like he’s been there for me. I remember a few years back, our Pastor at the time – Pastor Culpepper talked about giving Canaan to your Kids. It was a great series on brining our kids up in the Lord. Anyway - during our prayer time, I confessed to God that I had issues with trusting him totally with my kids. I knew he created them…but I had to protect them from everything here on earth. And at that time – God gave me the vision of a big umbrella and my kids were under that umbrella. The umbrealla represented safety...and being under God. And I said, God…what if they move from under here….what if they go away from where we know they need to be. As clear as I heard Pastor Culpepper speaking that morning, I heard God speak so sweetly to me – “Then I will be there for them Shannon – just like I was for you”. Yes you were God – and I am so thankful. Help me to trust you more and listen to your voice so my kids can be all they are supposed to be in you.

If you are walking out this season of parenting……I’ll pray for you. And please….pray for me too!

Psalm 46

God is our refuge and strength,
an ever-present help in trouble.
2 Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way
and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,
3 though its waters roar and foam
and the mountains quake with their surging.
Selah
4 There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God,
the holy place where the Most High dwells.
5 God is within her, she will not fall;
God will help her at break of day.
6 Nations are in uproar, kingdoms fall;
he lifts his voice, the earth melts.
7 The LORD Almighty is with us;
the God of Jacob is our fortress.
Selah
8 Come and see the works of the LORD,
the desolations he has brought on the earth.
9 He makes wars cease to the ends of the earth;
he breaks the bow and shatters the spear,
he burns the shields [b] with fire.
10 "Be still, and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth."
11 The LORD Almighty is with us;
the God of Jacob is our fortress.
Selah

2 comments:

Bethany Edgeworth said...

Very great thought! Although, I'm not quite there yet I really needed to hear this. Pretty fitting passage for the current status of our nation as well!

Shannon Johnson said...

So true about our Nation as well! I just love the Psalms. Seriously....what a gift his word is! I hope all is well in nursing world! :) Love ya girl.