Tuesday, October 7, 2008

He's learning from the best

My son Nick recently asked a girl to go to Homecoming with him. You might have read a blog about that earlier. If not....check it out. It was sweet!!!! In fact, since that blog, things have developed into quite a relationship for those two. Talking to Nick tonight, he said it was cool that they are still able to be the best of friends. Its a great relationship for him...and I pray for her too. Tonight, he uploaded the video of him playing the song he wrote for that sweet girl. He posted the video on his Facebook and it was simply entitled Aly's Song. I'm telling you....he is a romantic and I love that. Kevin keeps telling him that romance is not just a one time thing. He went on to tell him that even though he asked her to Homecoming.....and its not for another few weeks...she thinks of it daily. And he needs to understand that and talk about it with her. Plan with her....we all like day dreaming with the one we like (love) don't we?

I see his dad in him in a big way. I truly am married to an amazingly romantic man. Kevin can make anything special...truly and I am so grateful for the way he loves me.

OK....I have to share this video with you. I'm a proud mama - he wrote this song himself. Not that it will every win a Grammy.....but it sure stole that sweet 16 year old girl's heart. One day....she'll think back and hopefully feel pretty special if she does not already.



Proverbs 22:6 Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it


OK...so I might be taking that out of context a bit. But I do think about what we are teaching our son. You know, what are we teaching him about loving a spouse and being a parent. Will I want him to mirror my actions.....or would I be disappointed to see him acting out what I do on a daily basis. Harsh thinking...maybe...but definitely worth thinking about. Right now, Kevin is training Nick and our other sons to cherish and treat girls like ladies. To romance them....in a good way. To know that they are precious and one day will be someones wife - if not his own so he should take great care in how he handles their heart, their minds and their bodies too. Can I get an amen???? Now that...is the way you should train up a child......and that is totally not taking that out of context.

4 comments:

Amy said...

That was so sweet that I have tears in my eyes! I love the look that he gave the camera at the end. She will always remember that someone wrote a song for her. I am so inspired by how you are raising your boys. I love to see someone who loves their teenagers instead of complaining about them. How much you love your boys just shines through you. Sweet inspiration!!!!!

Wayne Ratliff said...

Nick, that was great. Keep listening to you dad, he is a smart man, and you will not mess up. I love you,
Papa

The Nichols said...

What? No way, this can't be happening!!! Nick, you get back in there and play GI Joe. What's all this girl stuff? Just kidding. Keep listening to your parents, boys, they love you so much and they do a great job.

Shannon Johnson said...

Hey ya'll! Thank you so much - and Michelle....I'm as shocked as you. Where did the time go?? Amy, he is so funny. I wish you could meet him. I want to meet your kids! I bet they have your spunk and spirit don't they?

I do love them....and enjoy them. They are a riot. I fear my time with Nick is growing less and less....he's a junior. :( But I am excited for whatever he'll do after he leaves...but he BETTER CALL HIS MOM! Speaking of...I should call mine!