Thursday, October 23, 2008

All kids ARE NOT the same...and that is ok! (I'm reminding myself)

How is it that your children can be so different? Not only in looks…..but in personality as well. I know some siblings who are so much alike that they truly seem interchangeable. My kids….are not that!
I’m reminded of that with my 14 year old. Scout is truly a kid that marches to the beat of his own drum. Actually….all three of our boys have a bit of that. But…Scout’s drum beat……is not what most others hear as rhythm. You feel me?

As a mom – I think I started out thinking that I had to treat all three of our boys the same. Somewhere along our journey, I’ve learned that treating each fairly doesn’t always mean the same. That is hard for me to grasp sometimes. I’ve found through trial and error that their discipline and even acts of love need to look different in order to connect with them on a level where ‘they get it’. What works with my oldest is not necessarily going to work with my middle son. And what works with my middle son may not work with my youngest. AGGHHHHHH….you could go crazy trying to figure it out. But after years of trying….and still trying mind you, I’ve found that if I go to their creator….my boys ‘heavenly father’ in prayer he will direct my steps. The holy spirit works within me to prompt me…nudge me to move when there is a need. Some may say its that mom thing inside….and though that may be true…..nothing is just a ‘thing’. The Lord uses us as his tools each day when we listen to that little voice inside.

All of this thinking comes from watching my middle son try to find his place. He has a church trip this weekend and he could not be more excited. My oldest loved this particular trip too. Now he liked it because he swears Mentone is God’s country. He says it is one of those places that you truly just sit and find God everywhere you look. So, with knowing that – last year I was so excited for Scout to go too…..and you know….find God everywhere!!! Who wouldn’t want their son to have that??? So last year and this year alike….I begin to prep Scout for his big weekend encounter and I just wonder when I check out Scout’s packing list…..and his Bible didn’t make the list…but his new Star Wars Light saber and full blown Banana Suit did. You know…if you know my boys….you can just see Scout now with a big….no, ENORMOUS adorable smile on his face when he’s planning for the trip. I mean he is psyched.

There is a part of me as a mom that wants to reign that in….and say “but Scout…what about finding God on this trip… and the rocks…you know…finding God everywhere you look and stuff…….don’t miss that!!!!” And though there is nothing wrong with wanting those things for my boy…what if I AM the one missing all the stuff God has created that shows up right in front of my face, in my life each day. Like my incredibly silly, fun and talented son that is just packaged a little different than the more serious one. Wow….like a ton of bricks that thought hits me in the head. God created Scout and he knows him better than I do. And I bet….he laughs at him daily and that Scout brings so much joy to Him…..each time he puts on his banana suit or dreams one of his crazy dreams of doing something WAY OUT THERE.

I don’t know if you struggle with this, but if you do…you are not alone. Hello!! I’ve just put it all out there for myself. And I pray that as I learn this and walk this out….I’m a better mom for Max….and that I have less expectations for him to act like what has gone before him….because I am telling you……I see another Johnson boy….about to break the mold in an entirely different way.

Gen 1:26
Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

You know, I need to be reminded at times that we are all made in His image….and not in the image of others. If what I see in my kids are reflections of the attributes that mirror Christ…….then what more could I ask for? I wouldn’t want anyone to want or expect anymore from me….. I know he is growing in the Lord and I know that the Lord will use him in the plan that he has just for Scout. I know this full well……. Psalm 139.

Oh……here is a picture of Scout with his Light saber……I’ll post one of the banana suit once he is finished stuffing it with ‘the right’ foam. I’m not kidding.




I'm going to go re-read Gary Chapman's Five Love Languages of Children. I should have finished that book!!!!

2 comments:

Jennifer Giadrosich said...

awesome post. I think you are becoming my mentor and you don't even know it!!! Just wanted to tell you that Chris is going to Mentone. Thought you'd like to know. He won't know who Scout is but I will tell him to look after the boy in the banana suit with the light saber :)

Shannon Johnson said...

Hey my friend.... I think you have it the other way around! Why do you think I want to have coffee with you next week! HA! :) So glad Chris is there.....ask him about the banana suit. Also...Scout's group 7-11 is going to do an acoustic version of their rap! That should be interesting. Love ya girl