Thursday, September 11, 2008

Blink

Um.....its Thursday? Where did my Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday go? I truly feel in the blink of an eye I lost 3 days! I am on day 4 in my week. Seriously....I don't remember everything I did! I do know that we've attended a JV game for Spain Park, I am looking forward to another game tonight and one tomorrow night, attended Nature Night for Weeblos, worked on two trifold board projects and a power point......I might have worked a bit.....did I eat or sleep? Not sure....but I think you get the picture. Whew...I'm tired.

It's mornings like this I have to ask myself...did I enjoy my family so far this week? If I haven't...I need to make that a priority. Did we laugh..play...or do we need to run away and make that happen? Spontaneous get aways are great for that. Sometimes that family time I crave can only happen when we leave everything behind. I am getting that feeling. The only problem is...the older my kids get, the more responsibilities they have that don't allow them to just pick up when we get an idea to run away. Nick has football games every Friday night and works most Saturdays. We are part of a church plant group that has commitments every Sunday night. Hmmmmmm, when are we going to run away? We'll just have to note it on the calendar and choose somewhere close so we don't spend our time away....in transit!

This week also held a 'Big First' for us. Nick has had a really good friend (a girl) since middle school. They've been in classes together since the beginning of high school. They've talked each other through girlfriends and boyfriends.....and made fun of each other for 'liking' him or her. Well, this week Nick told us that he has more than just friend feelings for this girl. He's felt them for a while....and now he wants to let her know. But he's scared because she really is one of his best friends and he doesn't want that to change like it can when you date. His hopes are that she stays the same...they can still be silly...fun and try dating at the same time. This girl is sweet, a Christian that loves to share her love for Jesus and an active member of her youth group at church. She also cheers on our Varsity squad so they see each other all the time. Well, he is asking her to Homecoming today. Gulp...I am nervous for him. He says he's not nervous about asking her...but I think he is. So, while we were busy with lots of stuff this week, Nick was busy trying to think of how to ask her to Homecoming. You see, now days, you can't just ask the question...the pressure is on to do it creatively. Kevin gave him great ideas as he is the 'King of Romantic Ideas'. Nick wrote a song that he has been telling his friend about. She has asked him repeatedly to let her hear it. He told her last week he would record it so she could. Well he did.....and in the middle of the recording, he stops playing the guitar and says, "________ Will you go to Homecoming with Me?" I kind of thought he would say something more....but it was short and sweet. I wonder what she'll think??? I'm not worried too much about the outcome though. I have the inside scoop that she has felt more for him for about a year. My source? The mother.
I love this pic. Kind of cool - he could spend hours in the guitar store. He and his friends actually go there to hang out and play guitars. In my day...we hung out in parking lots. Yeah.

So....it may go by fast....but I'm trying to hang on to each happening and enjoy the moment. This whole week makes me think about that Country song, Don't Blink by Kenny Chesney. Sounds corny....but the lyrics are pretty good.


Don't Blink

I turned on the evening news
Saw a old man being interviewed
Turning a hundred and two today
Asked him what's the secret to life
He looked up from his old pipe
Laughed and said "All I can say is."

Don't blink
Just like that you're six years old and you take a nap and you
Wake up and you're twenty-five and your high school sweetheart becomes your wife
Don't blink
You just might miss your babies growing like mine did
Turning into moms and dads next thing you know your "better half"
Of fifty years is there in bed
And you're praying God takes you instead
Trust me friend a hundred years goes faster than you think
So don't blink

I was glued to my tv when it looked like he looked at me and said
"Best start putting first things first."
Cause when your hourglass runs out of sand
You can't flip it over and start again
Take every breathe God gives you for what it's worth

Don't Blink
Just like that you're six years old and you take a nap and you
Wake up and you're twenty-five and your high school sweetheart becomes your wife
Don't blink
You just might miss your babies growing like mine did
Turning into moms and dads next thing you know your "better half"
Of fifty years is there in bed
And you're praying God takes you instead
Trust me friend a hundred years goes faster than you think
So don't blink

So I've been tryin' ta slow it down
I've been tryin' ta take it in
In this here today, gone tomorrow world we're livin' in

Don't blink
Just like that you're six years old and you take a nap and you
Wake up and you're twenty-five and your high school sweetheart becomes your wife
Don't blink
You just might miss your babies growing like mine did
Turning into moms and dads next thing you know your "better half"
Of fifty years is there in bed
And you're praying God takes you instead
Trust me friend a hundred years goes faster then you think
So Don't blink

Naw, don't blink
Life Goes Faster Than You Think

No comments: