Saturday, September 13, 2008

Well it wasn't Oprah!

This past week we got a call from the high school inviting parents to join the students for a special assembly in the gym. Basically, it was a call on Monday night for Tuesday at 2:30pm. Crazy! The school had been saying that a surprise was coming.....get ready. So, the students took that to mean either The President or Ophrah was coming to visit the school. I'm serious. Anyway, I had a way busy day on Tuesday so I called Nick's guidance counselor and just said..."Is Oprah going to be at the school today? I've heard she might be...and if she is, I'll restructure my day...if not....I will make my sales calls! I had to check...I didn't want to miss her if she was going to be giving away some of her favorite things!!! She just laughed and assured me it wasn't Oprah...or the President. Instead, I would later find that the high school was honored with an awesome award.


Spain Park Wins Second National Blue Ribbon






(SPAIN PARK) – Spain Park High School garnered yet another award on Tuesday, September 09, 2008: a National Blue Ribbon from the United States Department of Education (USDE) in Washington, D.C.

Department of Education Secretary Margaret Spellings announced National Blue Ribbon winners Tuesday in Washington, 320 nationwide. Spain Park was one of five in Alabama. The National Blue Ribbon comes as part of the USDE’s No Child Left Behind Blue Ribbon Program.

“You are the only high school to my knowledge that has not only received both of them – but received them both the same year,” Spain Park Principal Billy Broadway told the crowd at a special Blue Ribbon ceremony on Tuesday.

Earlier this year, Spain Park won the Blue Ribbon Lighthouse School of Excellence Award from the Blue Ribbon Schools of Excellence, Inc.

“You are now one of the top high schools in the United States,” Broadway added.

Students, faculty, staff and community guests gathered in Spain Park’s gym for the special ceremony. Dr. Tony Thacker from the Alabama Department of Education, who helped nominate Spain Park for this award, served as the keynote speaker. Hoover Mayor Tony Petelos was also present, along with Councilor Gene Smith and Janice Farr, wife of late Hoover Superintendent Dr. Jack Farr. Board members and Central Office administrators also were in attendance, including Superintendent Mr. Andy Craig, Assistant Superintendent Carol Barber and Chief Academic Officer Dr. Ken Jarnagin.

Spain Park administrators travel to Washington, D.C. on October 20-21 to officially receive the award.

You know...what is interesting to me, is that this is a school that is respected Nationwide for its accomplishments. But in many ways....this school has some kids that are so void of anything real.....I don't think they even understand how awesome their school is. Sad....but more common than you might think. Just a thought.....

No comments: