Monday, September 29, 2008

Who are the Sugarbabies you might ask? Well, I'll tell you!

Last week was crazy. I posted last week that I was away from my family traveling on business. Well, after I wrapped up some sales calls on Thursday - I changed hotels and met 7 of my favorite friends in Atlanta for fun and the Women of Faith conference. This was a long week for my husband and boys......but they were great to wish me a great weekend anyway! We had a blast and I know I for one....felt refreshed...even if I was dog tired! The slideshow from our trip is playing on the front page of my blogsite. We had so much fun!

There is something about getting away with friends that remind you how amazing life can be. I mean, I sometimes forget to be so thankful for the people I've met and how they really pour into my life.



This is a group of ladies that I met through a weekend experience called Tres Dias. We call ourselves The Sugarbabies. We've been known by that name for a few years now...5 at least. Long explanation...maybe one day...but not now. Anyway, I never would have met some of these ladies, had I not attended my Tres Dias weekend back in 2001. The weekend in itself blessed my life completely in a good way. This group of friends was a bonus! These ladies love me regardless and in spite of my many flaws. They give me space when I need it, (sometimes I drop off the face of the earth),they call to check on me....but then they'll say....she's just needing some space- she's ok. If I'm not ok...they come running believe me! I just do a weird go-underground type thing ever now and then when I am overwhelmed. It's all good. I probably need therapy...but no time right now!

We have a text prayer chain. When we get a text...it can simply say...pray for so and so now. And we do. We'll have a group email that goes out regarding something silly or important...either way....we all try to stay connected. And we try...really hard to connect personally at least once a month. You have to. Friendship, real friendship is hard work....but so worth it!

Anyway, during our weekend fun we heard from many great speakers at the conference, cried during some...laughed a whole lot during others and seriously...just had a great time over all.

Our group ranges in age from almost 30.......to mid 40's. I love it. We've got most every stage covered. Whatever one of us is going through....there is typically someone who's been there before. We are each so different and I think that is what makes us fun. We are a group comprised of stay at home moms, work at home moms, office manager, flight attendant, teacher and attorney. Go figure. We attend different churches and are all different denominations.....Baptist, Church of Christ, Church of God, non-denominational..... followers of Christ. That is what brings us together and blends us so well with each other.

We had to drive separately back to Atlanta. I know the mini-van in front of us listened to the Alabama game. My car.....we jammed to the Disco count down as loud as we could at times. Dancing too.....with our hands anyway. That might be the highlight of the day for me on Saturday! Again, a blessed reminder to me with all that God has given me.

I would say that if I wanted to send one thing to you...encouraging that I gained from this weekend is that life was not meant to live alone. Get away when you can with your friends that build you up. Have people that hold you accountable to be the best person that you can be. Surround yourself with friends that won't accept any less from you than who they know you are...and can be. Have friends that tell you, YOU CAN DO IT!......when everyone else tells you that you are out of your mind! Oh....and most importantly....have friends that will ditch the last session of a conference because they crave conversation with you....and they know when you part this time....it will be months before it can happen again. And all the Sugarbabies in the house said.....AMEN.


"A friend is a person with whom I may be sincere. Before him I may think aloud."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

No comments: