Monday, February 2, 2009

In the waiting


I blogged a week or so ago about my sweet grandmother. She is still in the hospital, but has been moved to rehab / nursing home. That in itself has been hard. If that were not hard enough, the second day of my grandmother's move, my mother fell inside her hospital room while checking on Nana and broke her arm. She will have surgery this coming Wednesday. It was devestating. Simply put, it was the straw that broke the camel's back for my exhausted mother. Not only did she break her arm, it was her right arm which makes caring for herself and her mother a bit difficult.

I know we all have situations where we've experienced that one last thing. That last blow that pushed us to the end. Or maybe, there was a situation with a friend, family member or perhaps a child - that made us say, "I can't do this. I'm done"


Romans 5:3-5 (The Message)

There's more to come: We continue to shout our praise even when we're hemmed in with troubles, because we know how troubles can develop passionate patience in us, and how that patience in turn forges the tempered steel of virtue, keeping us alert for whatever God will do next. In alert expectancy such as this, we're never left feeling shortchanged. Quite the contrary—we can't round up enough containers to hold everything God generously pours into our lives through the Holy Spirit!



It is so hard sometimes to keep our praise isn't it? When we want to cry, it seems sometimes so difficult to sing a song of joy. But God's word is true - and it tells us that if we continue to shout praise - EVEN WHEN WE ARE HEMMED IN WITH TROUBLES, that the lord will help cultivate that patience that is learned into a tempered steel of virture - keeping us alert for all that he has for us. God is generous and give us what we need, when we need it most.

Psalm 94:18-19 (New International Version)

18 When I said, "My foot is slipping,"
your love, O LORD, supported me.

19 When anxiety was great within me,
your consolation brought joy to my soul.


Lord, when I feel my feet slipping from under me, I praise you for the love you abundantly give that supports my every step. I praise you for the joy you bring to my life and the lives of those I love. I know you are there....in the waiting....holding me up.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Oh Shannon, I am so sorry. I am praying for your whole family, especially your sweet mother.