Friday, May 16, 2008

When life hands you lemons, make lemonade!


Well, this week was the Regions Tour of Champions at the resort. It was to be a week of fun and excitement. Well, that is if you don't work at the resort. Don't get me wrong, it can be fun and exciting too at times. But when you have rain during a well attended golf tournament....no longer fun!

Thursday was the Celebrity Golf Tournament and is typically one of the highlights. We had all the Golf Pros and their Celebrity Partners ready to go....and then came the rain. At first, we thought it would pass and all would go on as planned. As the morning went on, and we talked to the tournament directors....the day was called a 'no go'. The celebrities were almost held hostage by the media. Tommy Tubberville, Nick Saban, Bobby Bowden,Joe Namath, Charles Barkley, Steve Spurrier...and I could go on were all in our Clubhouse laughing and making their exit plans. I will add that they were MOST gracious to their fans. They signed more autographs than they usually do I am sure. Though this is fun for guests of the tournament, as hotel managers, we are not allowed to approach anyone for an autograph. Ever. We tell our hotel associates that they cannot do this so we are held to a strict rule as well. Sad...because if I had been able to do that, I might have been able to get Scout his much desired Joe Namath autograph!

Kevin had the plan of checking Scout out of school that day. By the time the called the tournament, the logistics of getting Scout to the resort in time to see Joe before he left was a bit unrealistic. He and my dad had planned to attend the tournament with Scout and get another...yes another...Joe Namath autograph. Scout has been a collector for years now. It all started in the third grade when he did his 'living book report' on Joe. He had to dress up like his character and talk about his life. #12 for The JETS. He was hooked. My mom works closely with one of Joe's college roomates that still keeps close ties to him. She has surprised Scout with signed cards and for his 13th birthday...a Signed New York Jets Jersey. That now hangs on his bedroom wall! Well, needless to say, I knew Scout would be disappointed. Truly I worried that it would cause such a disruption that we would be the recipients of a less than wonderful attitude when he came home from school that day.

When Scout came home, he was a bit sad. He rather calmly asked if they cancelled the whole thing and would Joe Namath be there over the weekend. When I told him that Joe left for good - but would most likely be back next year, I held my breath. To my surprise, he said, "Man. Well I guess there is always next year right? I guess I'm lucky to have the things signed that I already have. Right mom?" I agreed and thought...wow...I guess I should have given him more credit than I did. He is growing up. And understands that the rain was not just a sabbotage on his plans for the day.

He chose Joy. Maybe not conciously, but he chose to look on the bright side. I find at times that is one of the hardest things to teach my kids. Do you agree? I find at times I too struggle with my attitude when it comes to disappointment....or struggle. Finding contentment is going to be a lifelong journey. We'll always be faced with being let down and having our plans changed. But in all things....if we find joy and keep pressing on, we'll learn contentment and to be happy with the things that we already have!

Let's just keep putting those positive thoughts in our children.

James 1:2-4 tells us
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.



Though this may have been a small test for Scout, it was still a test for him. A trial of how he was going to manage his situation. His attitude. He's not there yet, but he is maturingand I am very proud of him. Seriously....I've been on the other side...and that...is something I look forward to him growing out of. I guess my heavenly father is looking forward to me growing out of that stage too. Hmmmmm

1 comment:

Distybug said...

What a great kid, Shannon. You are absolutely right-he could have chosed bitternes or to mouth off at you or Kevin, but he didn't. Seems to me, he's had a good example of that SOMEWHERE.