Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The Last Day of School

Wow! I cannot believe that when my boys wake up tomorrow morning....they will be getting ready for their last day of school. Where in the world did this year go? Where have I been? I feel like I've lost some time somewhere. Really!!!

I remember some fun times from this school year. I need to journal them before I forget. Maybe I'll take my journals to the beach next weekend and jot some thoughts down. I have much to catch up on. I keep a journal for each of my boys. Funny things they've said, life lessons learned...that kind of thing. At first, I thought that I was starting them for their future wives. Seriously. I had planned on giving them as wedding gifts to my son's brides. My way of giving them a look into the life of the man they are marrying. Now...I can't imagine parting with them. I'll revisit my first thought in the years to come...you never know.

What stands out for me when I think about this past school year is Max's teacher. She is an amazing third grade teacher. She takes pictures of the kids during the day completing assignments or leading the class in some way and then she sends them via email to the parents. She allows us to peek into their days. I love that! Max loves her too. She is a Christian too. She prays for her students and truly loves them. We have been blessed.

One day, Max came home from school with a big announcement. He said that in school, they had taken a vote and he was elected the ambassador of the class. "Ambassador???" I asked. He then said, "No...no Ambassador. Um.... what do you call it when you go to other places and talk to people about stuff??" I was at a loss. He then exclaimed, "Missionary. That's it! I was voted the Missionary". For some reason (though a good idea) Kevin and I knew that couldn't be true. Even with our praying Christian teacher! The next day I emailed Ms. Thompson and got the straight story. Max had been elected to a position of service within his class. But, it was the Student Council Representative for Third Grade. Ha! Missionary. I love that story. There are more too, but that one is my favorite.


Scout had a great year too. 7th Grade was awesome for Football, friends and parties. If Kevin and I drove Scout and his friends to the Country Club once.....we drove him at least 10 times this year for various birthday parties. Kids party big these days. Full DJ set up too. He would come home so sweaty and talk about how much they danced. He lived it to the fullest. He also had a few girlfriends. But that is a blog for another day!! He made amazing grades this year. AB Honor Roll for both semesters. He tries very hard and it shows. Scout has had a big commitment with football this year and though he sometimes felt challenged for time and rest...he kept with it! I am so proud of him. He is gearing up for yet another summer of practice. He'll have a great 8Th grade year I am sure!!!

Nick had an awesome Sophomore year. We had some growing pains too. I definately spent some time in prayer. Cried some tears too. Nothing horrible....just the realization of a child that needs to walk his own journey. Walk his own spiritual walk. That...I learned, is hard, but doable with God! I remember praying to God one time and just praying Lord...what if he makes the wrong decision and then God reminded me, He would be there for him. Just like He was for me. I'll never forget that! Thank you Lord. You keep reminding me too. Going to State with the Football Team at Spain Park is something he'll never forget. I am so glad for him. He's made a million memories with that team. I can't wait to see what his junior year holds. We've already looked at class rings and in just one week, he'll turn 16. It seems like just last year Nick was leaving his 3rd grade teacher and I was thinking how blessed we were to have had Ms. Mannering. She really did bless us and our son. Where did the time go?

I can't wait to spend some time with my boys this next week! I love summer time and free schedules...though they don't stay free for long. There is always football, youth camps, mission trips, kids camp, sports camps, friends and parties. But...this too is but a season and it will pass. To think I may only have 2 more summers with Nick, 5 more with Scout and 9 more with Max....whew...In 10 years, I won't be wondering where I'll find the time to run those summer schedules everywhere.

Wow! So how has your school year been? I pray it was a good one for you and that we all have a blessed summer with lots of time for friends and family and the making of memories that keep us laughing for years to come!

Oh, Tonight was Night of Power for Nick at school. My almost 16 year old benched 195 for his max tonight. He now sports a beard most days..... Yeah....3rd grade was a while ago wasn't it?????

1 comment:

Kelly J said...

Our Last day too!!! Can't believe it. Hope we can find some time in our busy summer schedules to get together. I hope their last day is great!
Kelly