Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Indiana Jones - Is he still all that we thought he was back then??

That is a big question. Many of you probably saw the long awaited Indi movie over Memorial Day weekend. We did! We couldn't wait. Friday night, we took Max - our 9 year old to see the movie. Some friends of ours decided to join us without their children. They have a 9 year old girl and a 3 year old boy. They weren't quite sure if the movie would be right for them. Good move, because its not. There are a few scenes that would scare younger children and most girls probably.

But Max....walked out saying that it was THE BEST MOVIE EVER! He also randomly sings the theme song....you know...da da da daaaaaa, da da daaaaa (you can sing it) He loves it!

I will tell you that I totally enjoyed sitting next to him. It was a total flashback of my childhood and watching the Indiana Jones movies in the theaters. I was a bit older than 9, but I still remember the magic.

My husband sat next to me and he had a somewhat different experience. He sat through most of the movie thinking, that can't happen, that was crazy, who would believe that...and so on. Though he enjoyed the movie, and had a good time, he left somewhat disappointed in the movie. I guess you could say it did not live up to his expectations.

Later that evening as we were discussing the movie, I told him that maybe my experience was different (because I loved the movie) because I went with a Max view. Meaning - I went and enjoyed the movie through my 9 year old. Not my 30 something mind. You know what I mean? Its like when we were kids, Indiana Jones was amazingly awesome and we never considered how he could really swing on his whip, get out of crazy situations and beat up all the bad guys. It just was. In a sense, it was childlike faith we had in Indiana Jones. That may be a stretch for some of you....but I hope some can understand where I am going. It was easy for me to get lost in the film because I had Max beside me wide eyed, flinching at the dangerous scenes and getting excited at just the right times when Indy went in to save the day. It was awesome!

From this experience...I find that I am reminded that there was a reason that Jesus encouraged us to have faith like a child. He was telling us to just believe...not try and figure out the why, ifs and hows. The older we get...the harder it becomes to just believe. You know? Kids...they believe. They trust and they just know. Its only as they get older that they learn to not believe everything they see and hear. How I envy Max.

But, as adults, the more we see God move and the closer we walk with Him, that is how our faith is grown. And that is how we learn not to doubt and how to drive out the thoughts that have begun to enter our minds as teenagers and adults. Just a thought today....do you have childlike faith or do you exercise the type of faith where you are the one figuring out the possibilities? That has me thinking today.


Matthew 17:20 He replied, "Because you have so little faith. I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you."


Mark 9:23 Jesus said, "If? There are no 'ifs' among believers. Anything can happen."

There are many examples of Jesus talking about faith in the bible. Just look in your concordance and you can find plenty!!!

And, in case you were wondering, we do recommend this movie for your family especially if you have boys. But, look it up on screenit.com or another movie review if you have questions. There are aliens and some other things that you might not want your kids exposed to...just saying. But, overall I think it was a winner for us.

No comments: