Monday, December 15, 2008

Spend Less - Give More

This has been a wonderful - yet very different Christmas season for us. Don't get me wrong, it has been great - its just felt different. We've put far less emphasis on the gift part....and we've tried hard to spend more time just 'being' together. Enjoying the gift of our family.....and trying to be more mindful of what this season is truly about. Our Pastor has been leading a series of Sundays that have been amazing. The entire series is entitled Christmas Rebellion - Taking Christmas Back. If you weren't there....I wish you could have been. There are some great notes on our church website....click here to read more.

The first Sunday we began this series, we talked about Worship. Worshiping the one we celebrate during this season. As we came in that Sunday, we were asked what burdens we were carrying. What was keeping us from truly experiencing the gift of Christmas. Was it money worries? Family issues? Depression? Name it....then write it down. After we wrote our words down on paper they provided - we tore them up into little pieces - then placed them in a bowl that was passed down each row. Chris asked us to just get rid of those things....give them to God. Worship him fully - and allow him to be the reason for movement and worship and celebration this season. At the end of the service......the tiny pieces of paper had been used to make a beautiful mosaic creation. Two hands holding a heart.




If the picture were closer, you would be able to see portions of the words that were written on the papers. I imagine there were all kinds of words. Being honest with you now...when asked what could hinder me from enjoying the true meaning of Christmas this year - I had to write down busyness. I can get so busy some times I just miss it you know? Not this year....I will not be busy about being busy this year. How beautiful it can be when we give our worries to God and truly worship him with everything we have....holding nothing back. Remember, he promises to give beauty for ashes right??


Last Sunday, we talked about the spending aspect....buying less. And giving more. We even talked about the wise men who set out on their journey to find the one who was promised. They followed a star in the dessert to find the one they knew would change history. Not a king in a palace, but one in a manger...in a barn. How humbling...how amazing....how relatable...how God is that???? The art that was created this past Sunday was pretty amazing. We entered to find a painting of a lady who had a shopping cart full of packages. Through out the message, Chris had taken off packages that were glued to the front of the painting. The Macy's Star that was formerly at the top of that painting was taken off and a majestic star was painted at the top of the canvas. As we sang about the Glory of God and worshiped God....while thinking of changes we could make this season.....pieces of the painting were being cut away. The first layer was being taken off in certain places - where the shopper was once standing. What was unveiled underneath the lady who was in a hurry to shop....was a wise man, on a camel - following a star with a gift in hand...for His King.






It was pretty cool.....it totally made you think. The question I left with yesterday was this; What am I giving this year to my King?? What am I teaching my kids to give? Have I taught them that it really is all about Jesus??? You know, I think my kids do get it. And I'm thankful. Grateful. Chris did ask us if we wrap up Christmas each year....thinking to ourselves that we missed the mark spiritually. You know, thinking that this year...I will make Christmas all about Jesus. Then, we get busy, don't do the things we planned, and still shopped and spent like every Christmas before. Did we not do the devotions...or read with our kids like we planned??? I think we have all felt that once or twice haven't we? He also commented on what the Wise Men must have talked about as they walked away from being in the presence of 'God with us', Emmanuel. Do you think that the Wise Men walked away saying..."yeah, I had big plans for this event...but it didn't really turn out as spiritual as I wanted it too...." No way....they walked away pumped...changed.....and totally fulfilled because their hearts were all about him. Wow...They followed the sign straight to Jesus.

I can't wait to see what next Sunday holds! If I can encourage you to do anything this Christmas besides the obvious of spending less and giving more...I encourage you to find time be alone and thank God for sending his son....to be with us here on earth. Read the Christmas Story, you know..the birth of Christ. Click here...how long has it been since you've walked through these words in the Bible? Its amazing.....inconcievable....and true.


In case you are wondering....yes, Kevin is partly responsible for the artwork you see. I am excited that he is using his talents again within church. We are so excited about what God is doing at a2 Church. We are growing....and Gods word is spreading and that is very cool.....to say the least! We meet each Sunday at 9:45am and always have a fresh pot of coffee going. We have a special Christmas Eve service planned that will be wonderful I know!!!

Matthew 2: 1-2

After Jesus was born in Bethlehem in Judea, during the time of King Herod, Magi from the east came to Jerusalem and asked, "Where is the one who has been born king of the Jews? We saw his star in the east and have come to worship him."


Merry Christmas - May you spend less this Christmas as you give and receive so much more!!!!

2 comments:

Jennifer Giadrosich said...

I think the part that left me thinking the most, was the part about when the wise men left...when Pastor Chris asked do you think they regretted giving the amount of gold or perfume, etc....? Of course not, they didn't have any regrets about the amount they gave... I want to give myself, my time, my money, my love, to God in a way where I won't regret this year. Where just like you said I won't look back and think, I wish I had spent more time with him, I wish I had gotten around to reading the bible more with my kids, I wish I had slowed down and meditated on all he has done for me.... I life without regrets is a happy life indeed!!

Thanks for the post and the awesome recap! I can't wait to see the art that Kevin and Nathan do this week!!! He says that they do birthday parties, I'm thinking to hire them for my own!!!! LOVE YALL!

Jennifer Giadrosich said...

Ya know, one other thing :) I LOVE the fact that this series is so moving and relevant, that I like you, can tell you exactly what both sermons were all about, the details of the messages, etc...even though many days has past!