Saturday, December 20, 2008

Didn't quite get the song right....

You know, I can think of quite a few songs where I thought I was singing the right words, only to realize after YEARS of proudly....and loudly singing that I totally did not get what the song writer was really saying. My youngest son does this too! We listen to music on quite a few radio stations and that typically results in the kids knowing the words to all kinds of songs. (Nothing horrible....) Well about a year ago, Daniel Kirkley had a song on our Christian radio station, My New Dawn that sounds alot like Josh Groban. Anyway, after hearing this song a million times - Max shared with me just how much he liked that song. And as he told me....he was really feeling it. You know the feeling when you totally 'get' a song. It speaks to you...like Chicago's 'Your My Inspiration' when you were in High school. Remember that? HA! Anyway, as he's telling me this - he's saying "Mom, he must really like his dog". My reply was...."What???" Max then asked, "He is saying this is my new dog isn't he??" I just died laughing....and we laughed for a bit. Because the song at that point took on a whole different meaning. Max had been hearing a 'boy' sing about his new dog and how it truly changed his life and took him out of the darkness into light.... see the lyrics below and substitute dog...each time you see dawn.

Hiding in the midnight
I’ve watched life pass me by
Haunted by each heartbreak
And mistake, I’ve let weigh
Me down
Now it feels like

( Chorus )

This is my new dawn
My yesterdays have come and gone
Walked in the dark too long
This is my new, this in my new dawn

I have washed my hands now
I’ve laid down all my doubts
I see that sun rising
Baptizing and shining
Straight into my soul

( Chorus )

Just like a child suddenly everything’s new
The colors collide and I see a beautiful view
Now I feel alive

Ok...can you see how his interpretation totally changed that song for him. A dog speaks volumes to him....totally life changing!! A new dawn does not signify as much to a 9 year old. HA! I had to laugh. We think about that often, and laugh each time the song comes on. He still feels Daniel Kirkley missed the mark on that one...or at least the opportunity to speak to 9 year olds all over the world!

In the same way, sometimes songs take a while before they resonate with our souls. Maybe its because we move so fast that we don't take time to let them sink in...or maybe its because we've never really sought out what the songwriter is really thinking about. What they want us to hear and feel with their words. I am finding that this season,a very familiar Christmas Carol is sounding much different to me than possibly ever before. O come all ye faithful. We've heard it a million times right? But did I really hear it all those years??? I mean wow.... we sing the words, "Now in flesh appearing.....O come let us adore him". Wow...God became flesh....to dwell among us....Wow.....that's no ordinary thing. And yet...how many times have I sung it as ordinary....as Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer.

Luke 2:8-18 (The Message)

An Event for Everyone
8-12There were sheepherders camping in the neighborhood. They had set night watches over their sheep. Suddenly, God's angel stood among them and God's glory blazed around them. They were terrified. The angel said, "Don't be afraid. I'm here to announce a great and joyful event that is meant for everybody, worldwide: A Savior has just been born in David's town, a Savior who is Messiah and Master. This is what you're to look for: a baby wrapped in a blanket and lying in a manger."
13-14At once the angel was joined by a huge angelic choir singing God's praises:

Glory to God in the heavenly heights,
Peace to all men and women on earth who please him.

15-18As the angel choir withdrew into heaven, the sheepherders talked it over. "Let's get over to Bethlehem as fast as we can and see for ourselves what God has revealed to us." They left, running, and found Mary and Joseph, and the baby lying in the manger. Seeing was believing. They told everyone they met what the angels had said about this child. All who heard the sheepherders were impressed.


Merry Christmas to you! I wish you and your family much peace, love and happiness this blessed Christmas season!


You know, just for fun...and speaking of words that we didn't get quite right when we were younger because we twisted them all up and made our own..... Well, in case you've ever wondered what Earth Wind and Fire was singing during the chorus of September. I'll tell you. I used to think I was making up my own words singing "Ba de ya...say do you remember....Ba de ya....Dancing in September...Ba de ya..." Remember that part? Well...guess what??? That is what they are saying! HA! Go figure. I was kind of shocked when I googled it. Thinking that i had missed something really good. Nope...just some fun grooving sound before the chorus. Man, that was great music as you would 'truck' around the skating rink...was it not?

No comments: