Tuesday, August 18, 2009

A New School Year

Well, I am a bit late with the whole first day of school picture thing! They've been in school for an entire week now. At least I did take pictures on that first day...I just didn't share them with anyone. So...for my mom and others that keep up with my blog....wait no longer.....here are the handsome boys of my house on our first day.


Max was so excited. (I can't find his pic right now...when I do...I'll add it! LOL) Typical 3rd child situation. HA! Anyway, he loves being in 5th grade. I'm a bit sad mind you....I can't believe we'll soon leave the school that has been a part of our lives for the last 12 years beginning with Nick. Seriously, this school has been a blessing. Filled with Christ loving teachers and teachers who just plain love their jobs and our kids. So blessed! Speaking of being blessed - Mr. Chaffin has driven the school bus that picks up outside our house ever since Nick was in 1st grade. After he got to know Nick - he truly looked forward to welcoming Scout on his first day of K5 and then Max. With Max he simply opened the door on the first day of school and said, "Well, little buddy...its about time!". Made my day just a bit better back then....so seeing him on the first day of my baby's last first day of elementary school...(did you follow that??)...was a welcome sight.



My handsome teenagers....

It was kind of an odd feeling watching Scout jump in the truck with Nick. Not needing me to take him to school...HIGH SCHOOL on the first day! I remember my first day of high school. And...if I remember it correctly, I rode with my friend Tonya and her dad took us. We were soooooo nervous going inside - but we did it together! Scout rode with his brother - went to breakfast with some other seniors....and they thoroughly enjoyed having a Freshman around, then met up with his bud where they entered the school to tackle their first day. I hear overall...it was a good day. I love these boys and am so proud of the young men they are becoming.

At the beginning of each school year I ask God what specifically I can pray for over each of my boys. I ask him to be specific with me. I can think of alot of things to pray...but I want to hear straight from God what my kids need. I want the holy spirit to quicken my heart each time one of my kids needs encouragement, joy, strength...whatever! My heart grows heavy when I think of what their generation is faced with daily. Some people say things are the same as they were when I was in school but I disagree entirely. I did not have near the pressure my teenagers have. Don't get me wrong...I had my share of trouble - but it certainly came with less consequences than the trouble of today's kids. My thoughts anyway. So as I was praying this summer - I was drawn time and again to the book of Colossians.

Colossians 2 in particular....read this;

Colossians 2: 1-7
I want you to know how much I am struggling for you and for those at Laodicea, and for all who have not met me personally. My purpose is that they may be encouraged in heart and united in love, so that they may have the full riches of complete understanding, in order that they may know the mystery of God, namely, Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. I tell you this so that no one may deceive you by fine-sounding arguments. For though I am absent from you in body, I am present with you in spirit and delight to see how orderly you are and how firm your faith in Christ is.

So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness.


My desire for my children as well as others is that they are encouraged in heart, unity and LOVE.....that they know the fullness of God, that they are complete in understanding how much God loves them so that anything...ANYTHING that would tempt them to stray or water down their convictions will not hold a candle to what they know to be true and real with their God. That are rooted in their faith, firmly. When I read the book of Colossians, I can just feel Paul's struggle for a church and group of people that he loves dearly. He loved them so much he was overwhelmed with how he wanted God's best and God's joy for them. And he sees how the enemy is working against them.

Now that my oldest is a senior I see year after year how prayer is THE MOST important thing I can offer my kids. I can buy them clothes....and can make sure they have friends and are social.....but if I don't pray for them I am missing opportunities to help protect and guide them as only God can...as I listen to his leading. Something else that I feel strongly about is taking prayer walks around their schools. Praying over the campus and for what they may encounter. Praying over their teachers - classmates - friends - lunch time - conversation - tailgating - anything that comes to mind. Just praying - offering up a petition of protection and favor over my kids and their friends.
My encouragement to you is to pray....keep journals of your prayers over your children and then take time to thank God for all he's done in the lives of your children as you see those prayers answered. When you see all the times you've been protected from crazy situations - recognize that as the hand of God...not just coincidence. This doesn't mean your kids will never stray, nor does it mean that you'll never experience heartache. Believe me. But what it does mean - is that when things happen -you have the benefit of knowing God is there and you've seen him work in the lives of your kids before...and he'll do it again. He will. The past few years have had both great and pretty crazy times for us. But through each - I've seen God's hand and felt his love carry me through all sorts of things. I love journaling for that reason alone - being reminded of the many ways God is faithful.



"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus" Philippians 4:6-7

No comments: