Thursday, April 9, 2009

Maundy Thursday



In Celebrating Easter, I thought it would be appropriate to mention Maundy Thursday. Growing up Baptist, I never really experienced this day of Easter Celebration until I met my husband. As the son of a Methodist Minister, he was very familiar with the Maundy Thursday Service that typically takes place on the Thursday night before Easter. I am so thankful that through his family I've learned to love this Maundy Thursday.

This day, Maundy Thursday (also "Holy Thursday" or "Shire Thursday"1) commemorates Christ's Last Supper and the initiation of the Eucharist. Its name of "Maundy" comes from the Latin word mandatum, meaning "command." This stems from Christ's words in John 13:34, "A new commandment I give unto you." It is the first of the three days known as the "Triduum," and after the Vigil tonight, and until the Vigil of Easter, a more profoundly somber attitude prevails (most especially during the hours between Noon and 3:00 PM on Good Friday). Raucous amusements should be set aside... (OK......I cut and pasted that last paragraph.....but you get the meaning right?)

It is somewhat of a somber feeling to put yourself back to the 'Thursday' or night of the 'Last Supper' in the upper room when Jesus sat with his friends. He knew it was happening.......the reason he came. He sat with friends, he was comfortable with them in that room - leaning on them the scriptures say. It probably felt great thinking of 'living life' with that group of friends.

He gave all that up for me. For you. He faced the most incredible situation and pain because he loved us more than any fear could separate. So, today - as we approach the dinner hour......it feels different today. I want to be mindful of that dinner that my savior shared with his friends. It marked the beginning of the weekend that would change the world. So....what do I do with that? I share his love with others and aim to live as he did. I will praise him for saving me and making up for all that I do wrong. For paying the price. For loving me when I am unlovable and dusting me off when I've fallen for the 100th time.

Jesus, thank you for saving me and paying the cost of my sins. Thank you for your grace - that you make me whole. I can never be good enough on my own, this I know. But you graciously and never tiringly offer me grace each day to start anew, mercy and love flow from you each and every day.

Thank you Lord for the cross.

1 comment:

Amy said...

How have I never heard of this either? So amazing. I love to learn new things, especially about our Christ. Thank you for sharing it.