Monday, November 17, 2008

One week.....til craziness and wonderful memories too, I'm sure!


In exactly one week, we'll be rising early in Nashville, TN to hit the road and drive to Washington, DC. Yes...11 hours in the car! Oh, we did consider flying but after looking at the $2200 we would have to spend for the five of us, we decided driving was not that bad and it would be a memory they could cherish for years to come. Ha!

We are so excited! This whole trip has been a bit spontaneous and out of the blue for the boys at least. We've wanted to go for years, and have always ended up putting it off for one reason or another. But a few weeks ago, after I looked at our calendar, I called Kevin and said, "let's just go to DC - the kids are out of school for the entire week, nobody has football, church camp or anything else that is in the way". The one thing that was sad for us, is that we would miss Thanksgiving in Nashville with a flag football game on Thanksgiving morning. I am sure we'll wake up on TGiving morning with a sigh about that one.....but the week was just too perfect to NOT go to DC. Especially when we begin thinking.....we are guaranteed to have Nick in the house for 2 more Thanksgivings...this being one of the two. The hour glass containing his days with us at home are truly running fast!! So, we are grabbing the time and doing something fun.

Scout is sooooo excited. For him, this means quality time which is one of his love languages and he talks about the trip every day. Last night before he went to bed he told Kevin and I this would be one of the longest weeks of his life just waiting to get to the weekend before the trip. We've got great things planned...and have already heard from our State Representative's Office and secured our White House Tour tickets! Woo Hoo!

With all the craziness that this week will bring, I will look forward to the drive in the car with my family. There will be mad libs, movies, conversation, laughter and lots of arguing at times I am sure. Would it really be a road trip without at least one good fight among brothers????? Kevin and I will listen to our favorite music up front and we'll both talk about how great it is all the way there....we always do. And I am sure, once its over, we'll regret we had not done it sooner....but we were busy.....and I can't seem to remember exactly why we were busy and could not plan this trip. What a shame!

We are learning to make the most of every opportunity. Family and friends are two of the greatest blessings this life gives us to enjoy. Why not put those two things above schedules and other activities. I need to be reminded of that at times.

So this Thanksgiving.... I will be Thankful for my entire family....thankful for friends, my country, my church, for God's amazing grace and alot of other things too. But, I will be thankful to be in DC with my 4 favorite men in the world! (Dad, I have 5 with you included.....but I don't think Mom will let you get away for this one! On second thought, I am not sure you would want to do the car ride. Been there done that right???? LOL )


I am sure they'll be much to blog about soon.....I'm sure!

1 comment:

The Nichols said...

That sounds like sooo much fun! Jonathan and I have always wanted to go to DC, maybe when Hope is out of diapers 11 hours in a car will sound more fun to me. I can't wait to hear how it went.