Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Happy Birthday Maxwell....you are 10 and such a blessing to us!!!!


Last night as Max was heading to Boy Scouts, he asked me to take his picture. As we were flipping back through them....trying to find the perfect Boy Scout salute, I realized how grown up he is beginning to look. Kind of made me teary! He's my baby you know!! I need him to still be a baby for while. This picture makes me laugh because he's wanting to be so military....and while I appreciate the stern face, I giggle a bit at the darth vadar scarf holder!

Exactly one decade ago, I was just about to leave my home and check into the hospital. It was an exciting day for us because we were going for the inducing of our 3rd (and last) son, Maxwell. I remember being so excited about the hospital stay. I'm not kidding! I knew giving birth would be a pretty exhausting event....however, once that was done, there would be two complete days of rest in a bed where I did not have to get up unless I needed too. How crazy is that? AT the time, our other two sons were 7 and 5. Believe me, they kept us busy!

I remember little things about the day Max was born. It was also the day of my sisters birthday. She was in the delivery room with me...and almost fainted! What a birthday present to her. Ha! I remember worrying about the other two boys and Nick's homework too! He was in the second grade and had a big spelling test that week. My sister in law came down from Nashville to stay with the boys (and be in the room with us when Max was born...it was truly a family event) and be the mom while I was away for two days with Max. She reassured me that she would work with Nick on the word mountain. Nick had a tendency to write mowntan instead of mountain. Nick got a 100 that week! Thanks Aunt Kelly!!!! I wonder if she remembers that as well.

I remember worrying about little Scout. He was excited...but there was a bit of him that did not want to share his mommy. However, he was the most intrigued with his new baby brother. I remember him always wanting to lay beside me and just touch the baby....all quietly while sucking his two fingers. It was like it was his way of saying...ok I'll share my mom and love you too...but I'm not going anywhere!!!

Its amazing the little things you remember....and sadly probably forget as well. Since the boys were born, I've kept a written journal for each of them. At first, it was a way to record important moments, precious memories and funny situations so I would NOT forget. I still enjoy going back and reading entries and crying a bit too.
But as the years go on, I realize that those journals are probably some of the most treasured things I own. I had intended to give the journals to my future daughter in laws on their wedding day. Um.....I am not so certain I can part with them. Maybe that can just be the 'something borrowed' and I can get them back???? No....that might not work. We'll just have to cross that bridge when we get there.
But today, as we celebrate Max turning 10, its like this feeling of no more babies in the house. I know he's not a teenager and he's not grown, but he's double digits. In our house...that's a big deal. And...if the past 10 years have flown by....how fast will the next 10 years go? When Max turns 20, and his brothers are then 27 and 25. GOOD GRIEF......I surely will not be old enough to have sons of that age!!!!!! And all this keeps me thinking of a verse that I always share and I've talked alot about in other blogs, because seriously - I don't want to waste one day of this life I've been given;

Psalm 90:12

Teach us to number our days aright,
that we may gain a heart of wisdom


I want to be wise with my days, enjoy every moment. There are days when I see things passing before me...and my typical reaction is to just stop...take a step back and sometimes run away with my family for a spontaneous weekend away or just stop doing the mundane things and just play a game with one of my boys. Do you feel what I am saying? Its so important to grab every moment of this life because we are not promised one more day. Each day is a gift and only the heavenly father knows how many days we'll receive.

Psalm 139:15-16
My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.


I am so thankful that I have the awesome privilege of being the mother of my boys. I've been entrusted with helping to raise 3 wonderful young men to grow and be godly men. Future husbands, fathers and mentors. And while I think I know them better than anyone on this earth - God has me beat. He knows their every thought........He knows how many hairs are on their heads.....and he knows every day that I will spend with them. And you know what? He is a good, good God.

So today, we are enjoying all things 10! We've decorated our kitchen to surprise Max when he comes down this morning for his 10 tiny pancakes! They'll be more 10 stuff too. So, off I go to begin the fun....journaling a little along the way. Tonight, I'll write in his written journal and have one more entry just for him.....and maybe just maybe I'll decide to give that journal to a future woman that holds his heart - but right now, that woman is me. But oh to think.....one day there will be a woman who loves him, as much as I love his father. And then to think that our heavenly father loves us more than we can ever even imagine loving someone??? Mind blowing.... that is overwhelming to me. Seriously!!!



This is a picture of Max and his birthday pancakes....taken after this entry...so cute I had to add!!!

Family shot at breakfast

Getting your big bro to take you to school on your birthday...is really cool! Especially when he's picking up Krispy Kreme for your class treat!

2 comments:

Wayne Ratliff said...

Max,
As a veteran I say thank you for the salute. I am proud you are in scouts, just like your brothers. Happy 10th Birthday to a boy who is growing into a good young man. I love you, Papa.

Tonya said...

Okay-just about every time I read your blog, I cry! I miss you my friend and am looking forward to lunch on Wednesday!