Monday, February 25, 2008

VHI - You ought to know

When I travel, I enjoy watching things like VHI in the mornings. You see, I don't have cable in my home so...traveling can be a treat at times! Anyway, each morning, VHI has a show called 'you ought to know' and it basically shows you music videos from some of the hottest musical acts that our kids definately do know. Well, what goes without saying is that I use discretion when viewing this program - if it is inappropriate for me, I do turn the channel. But...my thinking is I need to know who is hot right now! If I don't....then how will I know what is out there in the pop culture world for my kids? My children attend large public schools. Even if we don't allow certain music in our home - I can promise you my children have probably heard of the songs or at least the groups. I really feel it is part of my parental responsibility to update myself with the groups that are popular - to research movies and TV Shows even if I don't plan to watch them....but for the purpose of knowing what my kids know. If I hear a song that I know is popular - and usually I can't understand the words - I google the lyrics. Once I have those words - I can have great conversations with my kids as to what that particular song is talking about. Alot of the time, my boys will end up saying, "Mom, I had no idea". Movies - we use www.screenit.com. You can find out everything you need to know about a movie here, I mean down to how many times they say the 's' word. really! At the ages of our boys now - I usually put them on that site as they are asking me to see a certain movie. Now they look.....and sometimes, before they even read the reviews....all we hear is "nevermind...sigh". You know, there are so many resources for us to stay on top of what is going on. Let's not be scared to watch VHI every now and then. I promise you won't go to hell. Seriously...in fact....it can help you be a better parent. My thinking - early am for you ought to know and even the top 20 video countdown on weekends. Just enough for an overview is all I'm saying. Just my little opion.......

No comments: