Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Lots of Updates.....I've been away....

Wow! The last post I have is from a few weeks ago when Nick was in Mexico. In case you are wondering....yes, he made it home! It was amazing to see how this trip affected him. To put it in his words, "I've never done anything that important in my life". He truly felt and saw that his actions that week had helped to change some one's life forever. He loved being outside and working on a house for a family in need. He truly loved being at an orphanage one of the days too. He told us a few times about the children jumping on him and how they wanted him to paint their face like a tiger. He smiled BIG telling us of his experiences. We are so thankful for that experience in his life. I can't wait to see how God will use that in his life later on. For now, he wants to go back as soon as he can. He literally CANNOT wait for another opportunity.

This was our first Easter without Nick and that was really weird. But, because of unplanned circumstances, our family from Nashville joined us! It was wonderful! Here is a picture of my sweet Nana Sunday afternoon. She couldn't make it to church with us, but she loved us visiting in the afternoon. To be so close to death only a few months ago....she is has some amazing days now. She doesn't feel this good every day - but we were so thankful Easter Sunday was a good day. It was so nice being with her that day. She's still a way fun Nana, and laughed and enjoyed her great grandchildren to the fullest!



The week after Easter, my sister got married. It was a BEAUTIFUL wedding. Jennifer and Vince had one of the sweetest weddings I have ever seen. Along with traditional vows, they spoke their own words to each other. My sister has always been a writer - so she had a speech for Vince - and it was perfect. I loved that she took the time to tell him how she felt about him and the difference he had made in her life. Before the ceremony, she said that she thought maybe she should cut it short that people didn't want to hear all her stuff. I told her that it was her wedding and she should say what she wants to say. Its her wedding day! And she did....and it was great. The entire wedding was that way. It was very Jenny and Vince - and they enjoyed it together. Awesome day. Here are a few pictures.


Jen and her sweet Peighton. Peighton's dress was adorable! My mom bought it for Easter...and The Wedding!

My mother in law decorated the cake, the arch on the wall and the entire room...not enough space to post all the pics!



I will say that I experienced Acts Chapter 2 in a big way during the wedding. What do I mean? The church that I am a part of is called a2 in response of Acts chapter 2. This is a wonderful portion of that chapter.


The Fellowship of the Believers
They devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. Everyone was filled with awe, and many wonders and miraculous signs were done by the apostles. All the believers were together and had everything in common. Selling their possessions and goods, they gave to anyone as he had need. Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved.


Since becoming a part of this church, that scripture has meant more to me than ever before. Well, during the planning of my sister's wedding, I was in need - and my community came to my aid. Seriously. They saw I had need and offered. I did not have to beg....or seek hard. My community was just there to help. For instance, I was catering the food - My friends Julie and Becky were there to make sure it happened and took care of everything that Saturday. They literally worked from 10am until 6pm, preparing, serving and cleaning. No complaints - smiled and were genuinely excited to do the whole thing! My girl Julie dropped her kids off that morning and picked them up after the wedding and enjoyed a whole 2 hours of rest...before going to the airport to pick up her husband and son. They had been in Mexico with Nick for that entire week before! What a week for everyone!

My friend, Becky's girls were there to take care of my niece and help with cutting the cake and greeting guests. They were amazing! Simply amazing. My niece Peighton didn't cry for her mommie (the bride) one time. She had a great day with Kelsie! We were so grateful. Emily could go into wedding planning one day herself. She was great! This teenage girl cut and served the entire grooms cake with ease!


Our friend David Jacks offered to do a video and pictures for my sisters wedding at no cost. Who does that? A friend who loves you...that is who! He and Kevin worked together on pictures and video to make sure the day would remembered for years to come. I cannot say enough how amazing that is!

My mother in law called the week of the wedding. She was sharing how she didn't think she could make it for my birthday...so she wanted to come down that week to see us. The week of my sister's wedding. Ok...this is where God put icing on the cake for us - I believe the Lord holds all things in his hand. All things. And that every little thing we are concerned with is important to God. Ok...so as I'm listening to my mother in law, I begin to think...oh, this means she will be here when my sister is getting married - and she is AN AMAZING FLORIST! What a brilliant change in plans! So, all of the sudden...we had a professional florist to decorate the cake and the reception area. The flowers were beautiful. Kathy really is amazing....and she blessed us all so much.

If that were not enough - I made a request for serving pieces - My neighbor supplied me with beautiful silver serving pieces that day and there were several other friends who offered as well. I needed linen - my wonderful hotel supplied that without cost. My friend allowed us to use his coffee urns, a friend at work brought an outfit for me to wear because there was NO TIME to shop! Amazing.... and when the wedding was over, I sat back and thought, How blessed it is to have a community of friends who are there. It was my sister - not theirs....but love her as if she was. Have you heard of anything like that before. They gave of themselves out of love for me. It was love like God loves. That selfless love.

John 3:16-18

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son


Oh....and in case I forget to update you on a few more little items.... Scout is enjoying Spring Trainin for Freshman football team next year. For our family that is out of state - he's grown about 6 inches this year! He remains our loud...but amazingly soft and tender hearted son. I look forward to what God is going to do with him during these teenage years. Max is ECSTATIC to have made the Safety Patrol Group at his school. 5th grade will be awesome for him! He says he has the 'hot spot' right outside the library. Its a big deal if you go to his school I hear. LOL Kevin is loving his jukebox and his 45 collection. Just picture it. The jukebox lives in our kitchen where we enjoy it every day....seriously. Nick is working hard on his grades....looks like I am buying a Martin Guitar this May. And me? Well, I'm 40 now...and love it. Thank you to all of you who make my life full of good things! I have been blessed.

1 comment:

Libby said...

Shannon! I can not believe that beautiful woman is your 'little sister' Jennifer. OH MY GAWD! Simply amazing! And her baby girl looks like a living doll!

So pleased for she and her new family. How wonderful to find such love - and even more wonderful to be able to verbalize (write!) it. Congratulations! I pray God's blessings on thier home.