Monday, January 12, 2009

Remembering to turn the fish light off - I wish everything was that easy!

Each night before Max goes to sleep we have the same ritual. Kevin tucks him in bed...and Max will come downstairs for a second goodnight to me and remind me, "Mom, don't forget to turn off my fishlight". He's 10 years old....and I fear that soon he will not come down that second time to remind me! I love his light - (knowing its really there because he has a thing about being in the dark...much like his mom). He says it calms him.....but we all know the truth around here. The same truth that is the unspoken reason why Max has the morning shift for dog walking. We avoid the dark....

Anyway, last week as I was tucking Max in I had one of those moments where your heart is just heavy. You know what I mean? It had been a long day of some grown up drama with one of my teens. And to be honest....I just felt completely overwhelmed. And seeing that little 10 year old face....just about did me in. Especially when he's all tucked in bed, eyes closed tight and said, "Ok mom, let's pray that I have a good night sleep". Ughhh... I am sure I would have freaked him out if I had burst into tears hanging over him. Thank goodness that did not happen. But, I did give him an extra hug....and kiss too and certainly prayed that he would sleep well that night. As I was leaving his room, he said, "Oh mom, don't forget to turn my fish light off!" My reply...was, "Of course bud". I am so thankful that the biggest thing on his mind that night was making sure I turn off the light...and if we can go buy his friend Isaac a Lego set before the big party on Friday. Such simple requests....I can handle that!

So simple....and so different than one of my other boys right now. What a difference a few years makes.

Now that my boys are getting older...they are walking their own spiritual road. And I know they are going to fall....get banged up from time to time....but they will learn, and God's grace will be there. But...my heart will break for them each time. Like it did last week...and still today, as I watch my son walk through this situation. I remember one time, I was talking with a man at my church....how to protect our kids from making the wrong decisions. He and his wife have raised 3 of the most wonderful boys I know. They are men now....and all love the Lord and have wonderful families. He quickly assured me they too had their share of bumps...and then made a comment that has stayed with me. He said, "if the never fall or feel the need for God's grace...how will they know or feel the value of its worth??" Wow...that's right...I had to learn that same lesson. My kids also need to have their own experiences and that means.....experiencing life....not just watching.

The word that comes to mind is Isaiah 43:1-3. This verse is one that I promise you helped both Nick and me through his 6th grade year! That was rough year. This verse encouraged him....and held me above water...literally.




Isaiah 43
Israel's Only Savior
1 But now, this is what the LORD says—
he who created you, O Jacob,
he who formed you, O Israel:
"Fear not, for I have redeemed you;
I have summoned you by name; you are mine.
2 When you pass through the waters,
I will be with you;
and when you pass through the rivers,
they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,
you will not be burned;
the flames will not set you ablaze.

3 For I am the LORD, your God,
the Holy One of Israel, your Savior;



I know God is with all three of my boys for every step that they take. Especially after they've messed up...and need courage, grace and love to keep on going. It takes courage to face your mistakes and keep fighting....keep holding your head up. But we can do that...because of Christ, His grace....and his promise to us.

I don't know where you are in life...if you have kids...maybe you are awaiting that gift....or maybe you are walking through something entirely different. Know that God is there. And if you know him as your Lord.....that promise is for you. "When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze". That...is good stuff. Be encouraged.....I know I am.

I know that raising kids will bring many trials. I know this. But experiencing them....is another thing. You can think you prepared and you can think you've got your bases covered....but when something happens in the lives of one of your kids - you've got to lean on everything you've been saying that you believe. Trials make our faith stronger.

1 Peter 1:5-7 (New International Version)
who through faith are shielded by God's power until the coming of the salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time. In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. These have come so that your faith—of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire—may be proved genuine and may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed.

As parents, when we trust God with our children especially in times of error or crisis, our faith is refined. If we say we believe in a God that that can do miracles....then we believe in miracles even when they seem so impossible. If we say we believe that he will direct our steps, then we need to walk as if we are being led by the God of love and victory and not by fear. If we preach that we serve a loving God who sent his son to die on the cross for us offering amazing grace and mercy, then we need to show our kids discipline showered in love for them, not anger and unforgiveness.

Faith refined by fire - results in praise, glory and honor when Christ is revealed. Wow....that is much harder than remembering to turn off the fish light each night. Don't you agree?

1 comment:

Kelly J said...

Great words Shan. It is also important for our boys to know that whatever they are going through, especially when it brings consequences, there are family members and friends that will continue to love them unconditionally. Watching our kids get "bumped" is the hardest thing...but understand that it is necessary sometimes. Loving and Praying, and Loving you all! You are amazing parents who love your amazing boys!