Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Nana




My precious grandmother is in the hospital. She has been there since Wednesday of last week and it doesn't look as if she'll come home sooner than the weekend. She first went in with breathing problems, that turned to pneumonia and today it was confirmed that she has lung cancer. Sadly, that is not a surprise for us. She was a heavy smoker most all of her life until December of 1999.

Right before we were getting ready to celebrate the big Millennium, we decided as a family to make a time capsule. Ok..right about now you must be wondering where this is going...but just wait. Anyway, we all planned to write letters and place the letters along with a few personal items inside a box that we would seal until the year 2010. (I can't believe that we are just about to be in 2010!) Well, as we were talking about writing our letters, my Nana mentioned New Years Resolutions. Scout was quick to find Nana when she was over. He has always loved her so much. Well, as she was talking, he was listening as usual and asked her what a resolution was and she told him. Out of the blue, he asked her if she would quit smoking for her New Years Resolution because he wanted her to be healthy and live a long time. Wow...if it were only that easy. Well...for her it was. Scout asked, she agreed and on December 31, 1999 my Nana wrapped up her cigarettes inside her fancy cigarette case and that was that. She's always said that is all it took for her. My Nana is strong willed. Believe me!!!! She'll do whatever she wants...and pleasing her grandchildren and great grandchildren is one of her favorite.

Scout and Nana

I remember being with her so much as a little girl. My sister and I would spend the night with her often. One of my favorite things about spending the night with her was her jewelry box, long dresses and fur coats. Seriously...I thought she had millions of dollars!!! She literally would let us play in her stuff and she totally enjoyed watching us. One time we told her how much we loved her satin sheets on her bed...but we weren't allowed to sleep with her. She said we kicked too much! But soon after that...every time we went over to her house....our bed in the guest room had satin sheets. Jennifer and I were giddy!!! I know this sounds crazy...but it was awesome. She loved having fun with us...and I know she enjoyed us to the fullest.


I love this lady!!

When I moved out of my parents house and into my own apartment, my Nana took me to dinner if not weekly at least every other week. Even if it was a quick dinner...and included my roommate. She would call to make sure we were seeing each other. After being in my own apartment for a year or so, I moved a bit further to Tampa, Florida. I guess I had been in Tampa for 2 or 3 weeks when I got a call from Nana that said, "Shan, I need to see you and so do your mom, dad and sister. I am sending you a plane ticket to come home next weekend" And she did. In fact...she did that another time that I remember not too long after the first time! She was always generous. Always!!!

Well, tonight as I looked at my sweet Nana in the hospital, she looks so small, tired and sick. Its hard to see her like that...but even though her body now looks so small, her heart is still SO BIG! Seriously, there is not a time I see her now that she doesn't tell me how much she loves me and what a big part of her heart I hold. Her mind and memory are not there on some days....but even after she's asked me the same question 3 times in a row - she'll sometimes randomly say, "I remember the day I was waiting for you in the hospital Shannon Lea" and then she'll recount the day...the exact same scenario time after time with no forgotten details. She loves big....and doesn't forget those things.

Its a reminder to me that though things in this world may catch our attention and pull us away from time to time - the things that hold true and strong are the relationships that we carry with our friends and family. Those are the things that last....and that we hold old to until the very end. I am so thankful to be loved by that woman. She's taught me so much about being a lady, a business woman and loving life...every minute of it. Living fully....and maybe even dance on a table or two if you have the chance. (while being a lady.....of course) Don't you wish you knew my Nana? Some of you do....and for that I am so glad to have been able to share her with you. I pray that these next weeks, months or however long my Nana is with us, are filled with peace, joy and comfort for my sweet grandmother. God is good and she has loved him and taught us how to love and live as well. How blessed I have been!


Phillipians 1:3-4
I thank my God every time I remember you. In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy



This is Nana with our boys last year - Christmas 2007



This is Nana this Christmas with all the girls.

3 comments:

Kelly J said...

I do love your "sassy" Nana! I am sorry she is ill....maybe if she doesn't feel too bad, she won't remember that she is...as long as her "table dancin'" days are over...her memory loss may not be such a bad thing right now! Please give our love to Nana and your mom next time you see her. I am sorry she is so sick. :(

Amy said...

I'm praying for you all. This is so close to my heart right now, and I know exactly how you feel. Praying for you.

KHood said...

I know how tough it must be for you; my grandmother had the same thing. I will keep your sweet Nana, your mom, and you in my prayers. Let me know if you need anything.