Tuesday, January 27, 2009

A helping hand

The other day, my husband and son were running errands when they noticed an older homeless man on the side of the interstate ramp. Typically, for some reason, there is always someone there with a sign trying to collect money. Its a very busy intersection. My husband noticed this man in particular for some reason. He mentioned that he was an older black gentleman with the whitest beard. Looked like the had all his possessions on his back. He contemplated stopping and new he would be back by that way.

After he and Nick were driving back toward the ramp, they noticed that a black car was stopping to help the man. Kevin was glad to see that someone did help. He typically helps most anyone - especially women who have car trouble. I've never known my husband not to stop in those situations. But this time....someone else helped. As Kevin watched the man accept the ride and walk around to get in the car....he could not help but see who had stopped to help this man. It was Bart Starr. Yes, the MVP of Super Bowl 1 and 2!

We hear alot how Bart Starr has helped so many in our community and others around as well, but seeing it...was such a highlight for Kevin. What a role model too. I wonder if when that man sat in Bart's car...if it dawned on him who it was. I am sure it did. Kevin said that they looked to be about the same age. It kind of makes me think, what was that man doing back in 1966 when Bart was throwing a football and becoming a legend. Where was this man then? Was he successful at that time? Did he have his own home then? A family maybe? Or has life always been this hard for him.

I too am encouraged that someone like Bart Starr would stop and help someone in need. The NFL community also realized the character of Bart Starr. The Athletes in Action/Bart Starr Award was created to honor the NFL player who best exemplifies outstanding character and leadership in the home, on the field and in the community. I wonder who has been the recipient of that award. I'll have to look and see.

Bart was quoted as saying; "I don't think it makes sense to strive for perfection. Perfection is not attainable. I believe totally in striving for excellence, and I think there is a great deal of difference between the two. Although we strive for excellence, we set sensible goals because one of the most frustrating things in the world is to set our goals so high that we have no chance of reaching them."

I just loved this story and thought there would be some of you that would enjoy it as well. It may also inspire you to help someone out when you see a need. Though Bart is not striving for perfection, I can see that he does have a guiding influence in his life. I've always heard about his strong Christian faith. Though I've never had a reason to doubt it....I now see that he puts scripture to action. May we all do the same for someone in need.



Philippians 2

Imitating Christ's Humility

1If you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any fellowship with the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, 2then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose. 3Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. 4Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others.
5Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:
6Who, being in very nature[a] God,
did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,
7but made himself nothing,
taking the very nature[b] of a servant,
being made in human likeness.
8And being found in appearance as a man,
he humbled himself
and became obedient to death—
even death on a cross!

2 comments:

Jennifer Giadrosich said...

Bart Starr lives a couple streets down from me. A couple of years ago our dogs dug out from under our fence and ran away. Bart called my house because the dogs and come to his house. It was pouring down rain and he told me he would bring them home. So my dogs come pulling up my driveway in a top of the line Mercedes SOPPING WET in Bart Starr's car! It was a very cool story to tell, and I should have put it in my random facts about me on facebook :)

The Nichols said...

When I was working at the License Office in Pelham, Bart Starr came in to register a new car he had bought. He bought a new one because for Christmas he gave his old one to a friend. Anyway, Jonathan being the Packer fan he is, I asked for his autograph and he said "How about I mail you an autographed picture?". I was so excited and a few days later in the mail came a letter for Jonathan from Bart along with the autographed picture. He is so nice and so is his wife.