Monday, January 5, 2009

2009 and my resolutions for the year.....or for now anyway.


I always love sitting down in a quiet place during the beginning of each new year. My problem this year seems to be that I have not yet had that quiet moment. It could have been this morning....but my sweet husband let me sleep on this last morning of laziness before school begins again. I won't complain about that at all. Its actually unusual that my body clock actually let me. Something has changed lately and I'm not certain how to react. I guess my body is just needing more sleep and is totally letting me know it....and just does it! Oh well...

I have things in mind that I want to do this year as I will be turning 40 in April. I have to tell you...I am excited. I am going to be 40. I'm not sad....not nervous or anxious.....but in some ways I am so excited. The next half of my life promises to have great joy, adventure....and some sadness as well I am sure. Life is never perfect or always happy....we've been warned of that in the Bible. But the joy...and the happiness...that is also promised. I would guess that within the next 10 years, my oldest will likely be married, possibly my middle son as well. I might have a grandchild that calls me something cute (that is a pre-requisite). And....with God's goodness...I'll still be married and enjoying life with my best friend, Kevin. I can't imagine him not being there. Goodness... I assume Max will be in school......hopefully. But also hopefully out of my house. (I think that is healthy) Which all means - my house will be filled with only the conversation of me, Kevin and our dogs on most days. Wow...how did I go 10 years already...I was supposed to be looking only at 2009. Woe....let me back up.

Alright...here is my tentative list for 2009

* Pray more - Listen even more
* Share my faith more - the reason for my gladness
* Sigh.... Exercise......yes I said it. Friends, hold me accountable. (Jennifer, I know you signed up for Planet Fitness....you'll see me there hopefully sometime this week)
* Go on more dates with my husband. We have the luxury of having kids that are older and typically have plans all their own. I want to plan some creative dates this year. yes...that means we'll probably be back at Sips and Strokes. (Call me if you want to double)
* Read the Bible all the way through. I have yet to do this. I cheated one year...I don't want to cheat this year. I skipped some old testament. I don't want to skip that this time.
* Shop Less. Yes...I just said that too. I love it....it feels great and its fun....but I have so much. I want to give more. Just haven't figured all that out yet.
* Take more fun trips with the family. If I shop less..this should not be a problem.


I also want to see my kids do more and plan more this year. Last year, while meeting with one of my favorite mentors, we discussed many times a reoccurring bible verse that I kept running into. I would hear it....read it....come across it time after time until finally, I had to take a time out and say..."God...what do you want me to know about this verse??". Thankfully....as I became more quiet...he began speaking what that meant for me.

Psalm 119:133 (King James Version)

Order my steps in thy word: and let not any iniquity have dominion over me.


I love the passage written in The Message as well;

Psalm 119:133 (The Message)

129-136 Every word you give me is a miracle word—
how could I help but obey?
Break open your words, let the light shine out,
let ordinary people see the meaning.
Mouth open and panting,
I wanted your commands more than anything.
Turn my way, look kindly on me,
as you always do to those who personally love you.
Steady my steps with your Word of promise
so nothing malign gets the better of me.

Rescue me from the grip of bad men and women
so I can live life your way.
Smile on me, your servant;
teach me the right way to live.
I cry rivers of tears
because nobody's living by your book!
I began to hear God tell me...and I feel it even as I write this blog - that unless I steady myself and every move...every action according to His word....my steps will not be steady. It won't matter how hard I work, or try, it will fail and fall. I can commit to any resolution, but unless it lines up with his plan for me, I won't find joy. It's true.

So today....as I feel crazy that I have yet to sit down and do my list for real, I already know that God has one for me. I think the things I listed above are good and I feel quite certain that God would say...Girl, that's a start. But I know...he's calling me to more this year. Now, I need to make the time to be quiet to listen...and He will order my steps and they will not be shaky. Thank you Lord....you are good!

Happy New Year Everyone! May your year be blessed....and full of His joy!

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

It sounds like you've got a good list of New Year's resolutions. Everything on your list is something that I know I need to get better at--although my husband and I don't have kids yet. We've been trying for quite a while. I've recently had some challenges and trials, but as Paul says, "in all these things we are more than conquerors." I'm encouraged by your blog, just wanted to let you know!

Shannon Johnson said...

Stephanie, thank you so much! I appreciate the comment. I do hope this blog encourages others. I too love reading and enjoying the inspirations of other people. You know...God made us to work and learn together didn't he???

I love your Favre Jersey. We soooo love Brett Favre. I want to see an update on theirs too! :) Do you blog? If so...let me know. All the best to you in 2009. And for your recent trials.....you are more than right...we are more than conquerors through Christ!!! Be blessed. :) Shannon

Stephanie said...

Thanks Shannon, it defintely is great to be encouraged by fellow believers. I'm kind of new to the whole "blogging" thing, but I'm learning. I actually joined the Favre family blog and looked at other people that were following it and found your blog! yeah, My husband and I are huge fans of Brett, especially me. So needless to say, it's been a rough season because I've had so many people giving me a hard time about him! I take it pretty personal for whatever reason, but I always defend him and gladly do it. He's not perfect, but I just believe he's got a good heart and I've always loved watching him play! I've been pretty fed up with the media lately. Anyways, thanks for commenting back! I'll get the hang of this blogging thing yet!