Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Turtle Truth

I know...cheesy name - but what else do you call a blog centered around a turtle? This 'happening' has actually stuck with me for a while - and maybe just maybe you'll laugh with me - or quite possibly be encouraged today by this silly blog.

A while back my sweet husband and I were out for an early Saturday morning date. We were driving to get some breakfast when we saw the sweetest little turtle trying to cross a busy road. Of course we had to get him!!! I can't bear the thought of those turtles getting run over. Little known fact about me??? I simply love turtles. I also love tortoises. One day...I will have one. For now, I settle for the occasional found turtle. Anyway, we rescued this little turtle who lived as a member of the Johnson family for about 2 weeks. I think rescued is a funny word to use when you think that we literally picked him up - disturbing his walk - only to place him in a large box as his new home with brief walks given to him daily. ANYWAY....Max loved this turtle and for some reason named him Jim the Turtle. It worked for him. He loved Jim - but Jim was not happy living with us and we could not find anything he wanted or would eat- so eventually, we all agreed we would have to let him go. When Max would take him out for walks before school, we would put him the yard and he would start to book across the grass.....only to be picked up by a 10 year old placing him right back by the walk way where he started. He never made any real gain....but he would keep booking it each time he was placed in that yard! It was funny.

On Jim's last day with us, we decided to take a few pictures so we could remember what a great turtle he was. Very social - never shrinking into his shell to avoid us. Sweet - just a great turtle!! As I began taking pictures - I noticed that Jim was determined to get out of his box. He really thought he could get out all by himself. At first - I sat and watched as he rose up and just looked over the box that sat inside his larger box. (Max was trying to make him a bedroom)




It was funny to me that he just stood there on his little legs. It kind of cracked me up. So I took a picture of his little face.

And Jim seemed to have much determination - he began to scratch his little feet against the box and try with all of his might to climb over the side of that box! Those little turtle legs were moving! First the scratching with the right leg....


Then the left leg went into action....



And then soon - he had some real progress!!! I was shocked at this little guy!I was cheering for him!!






And then......he made it!!! But...there he sat. Not one bit closer to being out of that box. Instead....he found a bigger, higher wall to face.



If you are like me - I sometimes find myself in the same situation that Jim landed in. I'll scratch and climb over one wall...only to find I am facing an even bigger one! But the lesson in this turtle truth is that we should still fight like crazy to get over the wall - never be satisfied or stop working toward something better if you know it's out there. It takes courage, determination, and belief that a better day is coming.


I Corinthians 15:58
Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.

1 comment:

Kelly J said...

Time for you to play "Catch up" MORE blogs PLEASE!!!