Sunday, May 31, 2009

A New Creation......explained perfectly, in my little opinion.


I am so looking forward to church today. My dear friend Laura is getting baptized. I am so honored to be able to visit her church this morning and experience this moment with her. Truly its a privilege.

I met Laura in October of 2005. We began working together in November of 2005. God truly blessed me with an amazing friend when he put us together. In some ways, we could not be more different - but in other ways....we are sewn together for life! Bottom line...I love her and am so thankful for her. She has taught me so much about authenticity in the Christian Life. She does not pretend, nor does she ever aim to just 'say the right things' that some Christians have learned to do over the years. If she hears something about God that she doesn't necessarily understand....or comprehend, she says it. She wrestles with it. She digs to know and learn more. When she experiences something wonderful from God - she is giddy. She totally excites in the joy of the Lord. In fact...at times she just gushes and will seriously share it with everyone she knows.


True story - She came to a point in her Christian walk where she realized a few things she had not taken to heart before. ( I hope this does not embarrass my friend...but seriously, I think she would share this with you on her own. After all -- she wanted to put this in her baptism video to be shown at her church. However, the videographer, encouraged her to leave that part out. He doesn't know our Laura so well does he? Anyway.....) So...she came to a point when she seriously started learning what the bible had to say about sex. I will never forget her astonishment, like...'Can you believe this?' She then began to very boldly share that with others....in bars....in the workplace....in fact, anytime she felt someone would listen she would literally feel free to share with them what sex was really intended to be. I love that in her. She shares her heart with no pretense. She's authentic. How many times have you felt led to say something...or share something you learned about God and fear held you back? Why does that happen? Seriously....talk to Laura....she can give you a kick in the pants!

All of this to say, that I read her blogpost last night about her baptism and I would love for you to read it. Click here for her blog - or you can click on the link to the right titled - This Ain't No Ordinary Fundraising Letter. Yep...she's going on her second mission trip this summer. Don't worry - she doesn't need anymore money....just click and read...and enjoy her posts. Wherever you are....whatever you've done or not done - God's love is for you and he never stops loving nor does he ever Go away. We go away...we move away from God and lose sight of his goodness, but he stays the same.

2 Corinthians 5:16 - 17
So from now on we regard no one from a worldly point of view. Though we once regarded Christ in this way, we do so no longer. Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!


2 comments:

Amy said...

You were at Brook Hills today? Man, I wish I had known that! How sweet would it have been to have gotten a hug from you! What a great story. I love her sense of humor, her honesty and her spunk! She sounds like an amazing person! Thank you for sharing her with us!

Laura said...

Oh, Shannon, I am SO blessed to have you in my life. You had/have exactly the right combination of patience, gentle nudging, and love to help get me where I am today. (Which isn't perfect, of course... You heard the "Church Discipline" sermon - I'm going to totally know when you are doing that to me. We should just have a code word - CD! And if I don't get my act together just drop, "Restoration Committee" into the conversation!)
Anyway, I love you. Even though you could have picked more flattering pictures of me. Or had Kevin photoshop!! LOVE YOU!!