Thursday, May 21, 2009

Firsts and Lasts

Ok....its officially over. The school year that is. Today was the last day and it could not have gone smoother. I remember a few tears from Nick's last day of 8th grade.....but I am sure he does not remember that.

Last night -we totally did not have 'typical' bedtime time. In fact we watched Australia until a little after 11:00pm. We then proceeded to try and find an 11th grade chemistry book (which i wrote a $47 check for today).....obviously we did not find it! But how funny...down to the end with a bit of drama. But this morning was great. I made breakfast and we talked about the year a bit. They were all a bit excited and reflective in their own ways.

Scout - a bit nervous about summer football camp at the high school and then finally becoming a Freshman!

Max - was already missing his buds, and THE BEST TEACHER ON EARTH as he said, Ms. Howell. In fact...he hopes she decides to teach 5th grade next year!

Nick - Just ready to get those finals over and enjoy some summer. He can't believe he doesn't have summer football camp this year. He's not playing his senior year...so he's looking forward to something.....just not sure what!



So...as I'm thinking of this being their last day.... I couldn't help but think of the first day of school. This is the picture I took of them back in August.



I love how everyone is alert....ready for school in their favorite clothes. T-shirts are a staple at my house. Comfort....also key!

Now....9 months later.....they've grown and changed.

Max, proudly wearing his Safety Patrol belt one last day to school before the new school year begins. He's been 'in training' for 2 weeks now. He said he had a great hair day today. Hmmmm, I wonder where he has heard that phrase before? I'll shatter his world with a haircut soon. Its what I do.....


Scout on his Facebook before school...which is typically a no-no..but on last day of school? Anything goes! We even had french toast with powdered sugar....yes....I forgot about the teacher's sanity today.


This is Scout walking to the Bus Stop this morning....FOR THE LAST TIME!!!! He'll ride with Nick next year and will then drive or ride carpool his Sophomore year. I just realized this.....I may cry now.....


And then we have Nick.....you can't see the gray and black gym shorts or the flip flops that totally make this T-Shirt POP. He wanted to leave a fashion statement on this last day...HA! What I do love is his shirt. 'I survived 5th Grade' and on the back are several signatures from his 5th grade class that he still goes to school with. Kind of funny....a bit vintage!


So, all of this to say that we've had a big year...in many ways. We'll look back on this school year for time to come with some new found knowledge that will make us better parents, make our kids better kids....and a better family all the way around. Though it was not a perfect year - and there were times I wish we could have had do-overs. But at the same time....we've seen God show up, again and again and show his love for us. We'll now enjoy a great summer......and do it all over again, wiser...hopefully smarter in some cases and with an attitude of thankfulness for this amazing life we share.

Psalm 90:12

Teach us to number our days aright,
that we may gain a heart of wisdom.

No comments: