Friday, April 3, 2009

The Countdown has begun.....

Wow! So I'm being quiet this morning, drinking my hot coffee and wondering how my day will turn out, when it hits me! I have 24 days left in my 30s! Wow...is an appropriate word. Not that turning 40 is this magic number and everything will change. That is not what I mean at all. Its just that it finally happened. In all honesty, I can tell you that I love my life. I love where I am, what I've become (though I know I am still changing into who I need to be) and what I have. There is a song that Point of Grace sings, and a line that always catches me is 'Have what you want...but want what you have'. I love that line. I feel like I do...for all practical purposes, I am a content and happy woman!

Something happened this past week that did challenge my view of myself, that seems appropriate to share. You know, we all have a picture of who we think we are in our heads. Sometimes, we are dead on...other times, we might need to look again at who we are or maybe how we are perceived. I think I'm pretty snappy. I mean, 3 boys at home - two are teenagers and Kevin and I are both under 40. We feel like pretty cool parents and I think I look like a pretty cool chick on most days. Well, if you know my 10 year old Max, you know he has his own opinions. I sadly found out, that though he loves me and thinks I'm awesome. He doesn't necessarily think I'm awesomely stylish. I'll tell you what I mean.

He and I visit DSW, totally a favorite store for me. I needed a new pair of black pumps because my pretty sassy Ellen Tracy pumps were worn out. They weren't Aerosoles....or Easy Spirits...they were pretty cool shoes. ANYWAY, I needed another pair of black pumps. So as I'm looking, I find a pair of cute Steve Madden's and Max says something that changed that whole shopping trip for me. He said, "Um, Mom...those are a bit too flashy for you....I think you need to look again". WHAT????? I laughed and asked him to find a pair that were more like me. I SHOULD NEVER HAVE DONE THAT.
This is what he found for me.


Ok...not that this shoe is bad. In fact, with the right pant suit...I would wear this shoe. But then he shows me this one and tells me it would be 'right' for me too.

He says some people like to be stylish...other prefer to be comfortable and that is ok. HA! If he only knew the times I stumble through the day....toes all hunched over because I had to wear the uncomfortable red heels with my black suit. Maybe he had never noticed. Hmmmmmm. Just who did he think I was? His mom....I guess. :)

Well, after that eye opening conversation, I kind of went on a frenzy through the store. I came home with;

A pair of these in black for everyday stuff;


A pair of these because my black suit will look great with them!


And I got these......because I'm almost 40 and still love to be stylish....AND COMFORTABLE and these do both!


I will tell you Max was in favor of all but the last pair. He told me I got a little too crazy with those...but I will love wearing them!!! But seriously, have you ever done something so crazy....just to prove you still got it? Is that why some people go and buy expensive cars? Houses? Well, I guess I can be glad my total was not too crazy! I guess Kevin is glad too. HA!

Anyway.....as I said, the countdown has begun! Bring it on....life is good. (and so is shoe shopping!)

7 comments:

Brenda said...

Soooo totally YOU!
It's fun watching "my girls" hit the fabulous "4..0.."- still the same!!!!! (inside and out)
Happy Birthday all month long!!!!!!!

Tonya said...

How funny! Geesh....he had some GrandMa shoes picked out for you!Love the "new" shoes! They look just like the Shannon I know and love! I might have to go get me a few pair! Love you!

Jennifer Giadrosich said...

The last pair was definitely my favorite!! Too cute. You're totally stylish :)

Amy said...

You have been my fashion maven for much longer than I care to say. You have still got it, girl, and I love the shoes you chose!!! You rock those sassy shoes, mainly because you CAN!!! What a great post! I love it!

Libby said...

Shannon I turned 40 last year. The day of my birthday I had a Eureka moment. The Bible uses the number 40 repeatedly for very important - LIFECHANGING! things. In fact, 40 is mentioned 120 times!! Christ in the wilderness,
Noah's ark - Moses was called at the age of 40 - The Children of Isreal wondered 40 years. 40 is a very pivotal time - and what an amazing blessing to view your life and be proud, content and so very loved. You deserve it!

Shannon Johnson said...

HA! Ya'll...it was pretty funny. If they only knew their mom back in the day right???? I'm just glad we knew each other in the cool days....there is proof somewhere! :)

I love ya'll....I really do!

Shannon Johnson said...

Libby - I love that!