Monday, March 23, 2009

Time really goes by fast!

It's been a while since I've blogged about ANYTHING. Believe me, its not because I haven't been doing anything fun, great or insightful. Its more like - I have not sat down to just do it. I feel the last month has literally moved at a speed faster than the speed of light. I spent a large majority of the beginning of February with my mom and watching over my grandmother. The other part of the month was work, travel, raising a family.....and in the moments in between....trying to be a good wife too. At times, I could feel the chaos totally surrounding me. That is when, in all seriousness I would recall the words that God so sweetly speaks in his word to us, "Be Still and know that I am God". What does this mean to me? I need to slow down, catch my breath, know that he is in control (thank goodness) and everything....does not depend upon me or my abilities. Ah.....sweet release. If it really was that simple right? But I hear his voice all the same. Its just up to me to believe it and actually be still.

I just came back from a FABULOUS spring break. We enjoyed a week with some of our most favorite people in the world. We met the Garrett family at least 8 years ago. Maybe longer. Julie and I had met at church, but had our first real conversation at a choir retreat. Fun times....I think. I can't totally remember back that far. But I know we clicked. Anyway.....here are some fun pics from our trip.

These are my toes in the sand......I love that feeling!


This is me frustrated because our 'pretty beach pics' were being destroyed by the wind...or at least my hair was!


These are our sweet friends - The Garretts. Can you imagine our condo with these 6 boys? Can you say...insane, yet fun??




During the first days of our trip - I spent some time alone on the beach while Kevin took all 6 boys snorkeling around the jetties. For the last 13 years or so, I've kept journals for my boys. I try and record life changing days, hard moments, good moments, just because days...and whatever. I write to them on their birthdays and most holidays too. Why do I do this? Because i want to remember their days. I forget so much. I had originally thought that I would give each journal as a wedding present to my future daughter in laws. Now...I don't know that I can part with them. I always thought it would be a way for my son's wives to get a glimpse into who they were as kids...and how that may have shaped them into the men they become. ANYWAY....the point is I love recording moments in their lives. This past week I recorded as much as I could for each boy. Some entries were harder than others...but that is because life gets harder and decisions come with more consequences the older they get. As I read through the earlier writings, I couldn't help but get overwhelmed with how time rolls on...whether we want it to or not. We run out of minutes, we leap over months...even years. Truly, after that day, I savored each day of Spring Break with the boys. Enjoying watching them play, fight, rough house and just be in front of me. Because, next year, my oldest son will be a senior. AAAHHHHHH! I have got to come to grips with that. I say that I am good with that...and I even encourage him to find something to pursue - even if that is the military. But am I really ready to let go? One entry from Scout's journal described a day that he and I were going to day care and he expressed how he didn't want to go to school and he wished he and I could just go feed the ducks all day at the lake. I loved that day. We made a stop on the way home from work that day....just to feed those ducks.

If you are like me and you feel like you are constantly twirling around - and always trying to catch up. Be sure you take advantage of the little moments. A week here and there. A conversation daily.....and always a hug goodnight no matter how old your kids are. Never forget to tell them how much you love them....believe me they still need to hear it, even at age 16, 14 and 10! They may roll their eyes, but they need it.

So, I'm back from the beach and trying to get my routine down again. That is so hard. I'm going to borrow a line from my friend Amy's blog/facebook. (She is the overthinker linked on the right side of my blog) She describes herself on her facebook page as the following; I'm twirling around, taking care of my family, enjoying my friends and trying to be an amazing child of God! I love it! I feel exactly the same this week. The twirling around represents lots of joy! So know this...I may look chaotic at times...but I'm incredibly joyful and grateful for the many blessings that God has bestowed upon me. I hope to make every moment count. Even the ones I don't capture in my prized journals!

2 comments:

Bethany Edgeworth said...

You are an amazing person and mom! Keep up the good work. It may feel chaotic to you, but you truly are an example to others!

Shannon Johnson said...

Bethany, thank you so much. I think the same of you. I love that I am surrounded by great Christian friends and parents....and that I am encouraged by you! Girl, I look at all you do and I think...Shannon, you can handle this! thanks for the encouragement girl! I appreciate it. Love you!